Tobold's Blog
Friday, August 27, 2004
 
Windows XP Service Pack 2

Just like a MMORPG, Microsoft has customers that love it, and others that hate it with a passion. And as usual, I'm somewhere in the middle, trying to report a balanced view.

Yesterday I downloaded the new Service Pack 2 for Windows XP on both of my computers. That took a while, even on broadband, because a couple of million other people are doing the same. I was a bit annoyed that I had the choice of either downloading a 270 MB network version, or two 108 MB single-computer versions, which more or less ends up being the same. I did order the CD, but was told it could take 28 days before it arrives. Still useful for the next time I reinstall Windows XP. So I downloaded the two single-computer updates using the Windows Update function, letting it run while going to work, and when I came back home the download was done.

Microsoft warned me that multiplayer online games might stop working with SP2, but no such thing happened. All MMORPG currently installed on my computer still worked. There was also no problem with my Norton Internet Security software, because I had updated that one before installing the SP2, to get the SP2 compatible version.

Will SP2 make my computer safer? Not really. I use an ADSL router which works like an in-built hardware firewall, I got Norton Internet Security, and my Windows XP firewall was already turned on. Testing my computer with Shields Up! had already declared my computer to be on maximum security. And the Google toolbar I'm using already blocks pop-ups, which is one of the features of the SP2.

But I do like having my computer updated to the latest version of the operating system. I do believe that the Service Pack 2 is a good idea, which will prevent some of the virus and worm outbreaks in the future. And I do like Windows XP. It is certainly far from perfect, but it is the best operating system Microsoft ever produced, and I had considerably less problems with it in the last couple of years than I had with previous Windows versions.

And the SP2 runs with all of my MMORPG games, being less annoying about it than the Norton firewall. Thats all I wanted.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool