Tobold's Blog
Thursday, June 09, 2005
 
WoW Battlegrounds Report

Yesterday I spent over two hours to test the first type of the new battlegrounds in World of Warcraft, the Alterac Valley, where big battles of 40 vs. 40 players take place. Unfortunately I found it rather horrible, and pretty much unplayable. The main problem here is lag. My computer is pretty good, 3 GHz CPU, 1 GB RAM, and a Radeon 9800 Pro graphics card, but in spite of a 3 MBit ADSL broadband connection, my WoW client simply doesn't get all the information fast enough. Most of the time I don't see the other people moving, I see them "blinking". And sometimes I don't see them at all. That is *my WoW client* doesn't see them at all. Pretty annoying if you find yourself dead, you look in your combat log what killed you, and you find a line saying "Unknown Entity hits you for 349 points of damage. You die.".

The second problem is me playing a warrior. I racked up 5 honorable kills by shooting with my gun, and 0 by attacking with my sword. I mean, in real life, what would you do if a troll with a sword approached you? Run like hell, you would. And so does everybody on the battlegrounds. I'm lucky if I get one hit in before my target is gone, and the lag prevents me from following him. I never get the rage built up to hamstring him or use any special attacks. Due to lag I even had my charge attack not working, with the target gone by the time I arrived.

The third problem is that nobody takes PvP as seriously as PvE. People don't form groups, and if they form groups they don't stay together, which totally negates the advantage of a group. Utter chaos reigns on the battlegrounds. Random assemblies of players form, get into battles, and disperse again. The front is moving back and forth, with nobody willing to stand their ground, everybody is running around like headless chickens.

On the battlegrounds you can loot fallen enemies, getting loot like night elf heads or dwarven spines. There are quests for these, and the first time you do them you get a decent amount of xp and cash, but afterwards only reputation. Problem here is that everybody can loot any corpse. I didn't get any of the loot from my 5 honorable kills, but I got loot of corpses that I never did damage to. Probably the people with the most loot are those that spent the least time fighting, and concentrate on picking up stuff. You also get enemy blood as loot, and you have to bring that to the shaman of your side. When he has received a couple of hundred portions of blood, he will summon a big elemental for your side.

The battleground has a lot of nice ideas and side quests, but people tend to ignore them. For example you *could* get a group together and sneak through a side valley guarded by level 57 elite mobs and get into the back of the enemy lines. But nobody bothers. There are also mines guarded by kobolds, which you could liberate with a group, and thus give some unspecified bonus to your side. But in all the time I've been on the battlefield, I've never seen one of the mines taken, and if ever there were only single players there, never a group which would have been able to do it.

I think if you could get a *good* group together on the Alterac Valley battleground, you could do some fun things. Liberate the mine, help your cause by doing some quests, and work together in PvP for much greater efficiency. Provided Blizzard finds a way to handle the lag. But chaotic as that battleground is right now, it isn't much fun. There is no sense of purpose to it, you don't get the impression that your actions change anything, even your kills are mostly just random luck. There is neither tactics nor strategy, beyond moving with the bulk of your army for greater safety.

I'll check out the other battleground tonight. Maybe things are better on a smaller, 10 vs. 10 battleground.
Comments:
I've been playing in Ashenvale where its a "capture the flag" game and I've had lots of fun.

The games seems to to be 10 vs 10, which usually ends up with 1 group on offense, 1 group on defense.

The biggest problem I see with it is the wait time. I usually stand in IronForge (where you can sell stuff at the AH, when you're alliance). Getting from IF to Ahsenvale takes me about an hour.

Then I get in to the play queue, which estimated waiting time for a game to be 30 minutes. It took a little over an hour.

So that makes 1h30 worth of waiting to play the game I want to play (which, in this case, is capture the flag in WoW, not "grinding, trying to send so time").

On the actual gamin, there's the obvious lack of organization. I suppose it should get better with time, as most people arent' used to the game and are still exploring what can be their role.

Still, lots of fun.

I'm just wondering, though, if Guild Wars wouldn't be better for people who are interrested in PvP organized games like that.
 
Same about me here, at the EU Terenas server. There seems to be plenty of Alliance players, but almost no Horde at our level range (31-40) .. so even thou it said 'estimated time: 3 mins.', I had to wait some 1h 24mins before entering.

We were a good bunch of disorganized people, rushing towards the flag .. which promptly got .. the two sides at a time.

Beign a druid, I was at the back trying to spot and finish wounded foes. So I got 3 final hits. But all of a sudden, everyone was gone into the horde camp, and I was left alone to deal with an enemy troll mage and a hunter.

We won on an easy 3-0 in about 15 minutes. I was trying to speak to my mates to hold it .. the more time, more fun, and more kills .. but that was all. 1 hour waiting, 15 minutes played.

I'm pretty sure there will be raids on Xroads and Orgrimmar again ..
 
I couldn't disagree more with the first post. He describes a very nice computer system that seems to have issues running the game. I play on a laptop, and no it is not using a desktop processor or anything high powered, that has a standard 2Ghz mobile chip, 640MB ram and a 64MB video card. Granted, I shut down unnecessary applications when I play. I do experience lag when in the BG but usually only when I enter and run to the main battle area.

The post was right about one thing, it is somewhat chaotic. Although, if you can get a small group togather you can take the mines or even the towers with a few more people and it makes a huge difference in the battle. Just last night I was involved in a battle where we were successful at killing the oppositions general, which ends the instance. It would not have been possible without people going off and doing the quests (Note: the quests are good to complete but you must be honored to get the ultimate use of the spawned NPC mobs).

I would also agree with you that strict melee classes are at a little of a disadvantage due to the mass of ranged attacking going on. It's like sending in the marines with knives against enemies with guns. But, you can be useful because as you said there is alot of chaos and you can watch for the random person to get caught without alot of friends around. If Honor Kills are your main objective then join the raid group. Every time I have been in the BG there is a main raid group that people form.

Your issue with travelling to Ashenvale should be fixed now also since they put battlemasters in each major city.

I have yet to play the "capture the flag" BG but I have heard that sometimes it is tough to get a game.

Oh well, I have gone on long enough. I totally enjoy the AV BG and have almost abandoned gaining xp to get 60 (currently 3 bubbles from 59) but I am a First Sergeant and hope to continue gaining rank so I can get to the epic rewards.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool