Tobold's Blog
Tuesday, August 09, 2005
 
World of Warcraft at 60

I do enjoy playing World of Warcraft with my level 60 character. But I realize that this is mainly due to my guild, The Order of the Rose-Croix, which manages to strike the fine balance between being casual enough to be friendly, and being professional enough to be efficient. So while I enjoy the endgame, I can see how others might be turned off by it. WoW at 60 has a number of serious problems:

The main problem is that WoW at 60 is clearly a different game than WoW from 1-59. It is like participating in a marathon, and finding that instead of a finish line at the end there is a soccer field, where you are expected to team up and play. If you are lucky, you like both games, the leveling game of 1-59, and the raiding game at 60. But if you only like the leveling part, level 60 feels like game over. And if you only like the raiding part, then being forced to level to get there is a grind. In my opinion WoW could learn from the console role-playing games, where finishing the game would often unlock new, more exotic character classes, and thus encourage you to start over.

The second big problem of WoW at 60 is that it isn't accessible to everybody. That might come as a surprise to some people. After all, getting to level 60 is easy enough in World of Warcraft. But when you can't gain experience points and levels any more, an alternative advancement game kicks in, which consists of improving your equipment, and getting the high-end recipes and resources for crafting. And while from level 1-59 you could always chose between soloing and grouping, the level 60 alternative advancement gives you only the choice between grouping and raiding. The only thing you can solo is farming money for your epic mount, or resources and items for your alts. People who enjoyed WoW for it's soloing possibilities, and there are a lot of those, will quickly feel blocked and unable to improve their character further at level 60.

Practically the only way to play at level 60 is with a good guild. Doing high-level instances with pickup groups is a recipe for disaster. Unfortunately good guilds are few and far between. There are lots of small and ineffectual guilds in World of Warcraft, which have problems getting enough people together to regularly raid even just the smaller instances, and who will never see Molten Core. On the other extreme there is at least one uberguild on every server, with a strict military organization, raiding every day. But in such guilds you are quickly reduced to a small cog in a big machine, built for coughing out phat loot. Such guilds are often cold and unfriendly, some even kicking people out if they don't show up for raids every night. Then "playing" World of Warcraft quickly turns into "working", and soon stops being fun.

It is ironic how some people complained about World of Warcraft being too soloable, not fostering social cohesion like Everquest did. But in the endgame WoW is turning more and more into Everquest, a game where you need a huge organization to get 40 people for a raid together, and then need to be able to play for several hours in a row. The casual game, where you can log on for one hour and do something useful, ends at level 60, and that is a shame.

I don't believe that World of Warcraft will ever raise its level cap to over 60. Raising the cap would clearly cause some big problems with the current game design. The talent system is based on you *not* having enough points to get all the useful talents, and adding 10 or more points to that would unbalance it. Many of the current high-level instances are designed to be raid content, and would suffer if they could be done by smaller groups of level 70. And in the end, raising the cap isn't really a solution, it just recreates the same problem a bit later.

So what is needed is other forms of alternate advancement, which are open to casual players. Activities which you can do for one hour every evening, without a group or guild, and which still improve your level 60 character. In my opinion Blizzard made a big design blunder by tying high-level crafting to high-level instances. It shouldn't be necessary to raid to get all the high-end recipes, long multi-step quests for them would have been better. And being able to craft certain items only in the middle of a dungeon is just plain stupid.

But it seems that right now Blizzard is only planning to add more of the same type of raid level dungeons. The next patch will bring a dungeon for medium size raid groups of 20 players, which was missing. Nice for me, and whoever else has a chance to get 20 players together. But not solving anything in the fundamental problem.

If it was up to me to design an expansion set, I would add a new continent, inhabited by two races, one Alliance and one Horde, to get people to start new characters. The continent would have lots of new content for level 1 to 59, especially dungeons level 10 to 50. And it would have only very little content for level 60 characters, maybe one raid dungeon or so. World of Warcraft is a great game, which achieved a tremendous success by being accessible to the casual player. But even a casual player can reach level 60 in a year and find himself facing a different game that isn't for him. Blizzard needs to reach out to these casual gamers that make up their core audience, and stop listening to the vocal minority of hardcore gamers. Unfortunately there is no expansion set announced yet, and nearly everything on Blizzard's under development page is unsuitable for casual gamers. I'm far from doomcasting WoW, but this isn't a viable long-term strategy.
Comments:
There is an Expansion Set announced, but no concrete date given. But as we know Blizzard, it might just be released late fall to take advantage of the christmas sales.

"Some have asked about an expansion and what it might hold. I wanted to let players know that it is in the works, and we’ll release details as soon as we can."
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.aspx?ForumName=wow-general&ThreadID=3698633

Due to some trademark registrations and domain names registered to Blizzard (see http://wow.ogaming.com/info/Electro~15.php for more info) it will be named "Burning Crusade".
 
I wouldn't say it is strictly true that you cannot log on for one hour and do something useful. It's just that the useful things (such as pharming gold for epics, or collecting the rare crafting materials needed for the top end of enchanting) tend to be pretty boring compared to the quest/objective heavy content you were used to from 1-59.

At 60 there really is a change of gear. When you first ding 60, compared to those who've been 60 for some time, your a n00b again. Your kit is rubbish and your inexperianced at high end raids. Your now learning a new set of WoW skills, the art of raiding. From that point on your now on a quest for better and better kit, epics is your goal. But Epics are just that, EPIC - and their not something that you can expect to receive if you only play an hour here an there. Which really dissapoints alot of players with little time on their hands, as they feel locked out of that content. Its a tough balancing act for the developers - on one hand they need to cater to those that like putting in alot of time and having an "uber phat lewt" reward to show for it. On the other, they need to keep interest for those people that don't have the time, and I totally agree, once you're level 60 there isn't that much to do that exciting and interesting if you only have an hour to play here and there. Which makes me think that at the moment at least, Blizzard are indeed failing to cater to both types of player post level 60.


I do wonder what Blizzard have intended for "Hero Classes". It been sitting at the bottom of the Under Development page now for some time. Will it be something a casual player can work on in the odd hour here and there? Or will it require multiple raids to high level instances and therefore a lot of organisation and spare time? I do hope its the former.
 
Hi!

Have you considered spending time in the Battlegrounds?

Farming is not for me, in the same way that repeatedly shoving a fork into my eye is not (I speak with some authority as an ex-DAOC crafter). At level 60, 90% of my playtime is spent either in a guild raid or in Warsong Gulch. The latter of those requires no planning, no pre-arranged group, and is usually available within 5 minutes of logging on via teleporter from Orgrimmar. I can also leave when I like, having spent as much time as I have available (though it's hard letting go of a round I feel we have a chance of winning). True, you might be at a disadvantage in a pickup group versus a big name guild that's joined as a raid; mind you, I'm happy to report that just such a pickup group demolished Rapture 3-0 last night!

I happen to find it immensely entertaining, and a more satisfying test of my skills than a PvE raid (particularly relative to a raid in a dungeon I've completed before and which has been reduced to a loot-farming exercise). It just so happens that as I enjoy myself, I'm also improving my character by unlocking general and faction-specific PvP reward sets. Grinding by yet another name. I've basically abandoned any hope of completing a PvE armour set before my 70th birthday, so getting to Champion rank is my last best hope for a coordinated outfit (with black silk shirt; I hope Kyroc, my personal fashion advisor, approves ;^).

I know you have reservations about PvP in the general case, let alone the specific implementation in World of Warcraft. I thought it'd be polite to report that I am one satisfied customer when it comes to the amount of content accessible to the "solo" player (even though I'm signing up, solo, for an enforced random group of 10).

--
Slojin

P.S. Take me to Dire Maul, damn you. I've still never been.
 
Man, if I had to play in a soccer game after running a marathon... I think I'd collapse!

Aside from PvPing, 60 doesn't seem that great. I just don't have time for raids anymore. I mean, this summer I was gonna level up my new pally into the 50's but I've barley played with my 50-hour workweeks. I barely have the time for soloing let alone raids. If Bliz is smart they'll make a lot of new content for us non-raiders to explore in the expansion pack.

-delorriana
 
Slojin,

of all the PvP content of WoW, Warsong Gulch is currently definitely the most fun. But that doesn't mean the system doesn't have problems. For example your 5-minutes waiting queues are the result of you playing Horde. Waiting time for Alliance can be a lot longer.

Furthermore WG isn't balanced, the Horde is winning the majority of battles on all servers. Part of that is training, if you can do a battleground with 5 minutes wait you'll get more training than if you need to wait an hour. And another part is class imbalance. For this particular form of battle, a shaman with ghost wolf and earthbind totem is a *lot* more useful than a paladin who isn't allowed to use his invulnerability when carrying the flag.

If our guild wasn't organizing a raid every night, I would do more Warsong Gulch fighting. But I never seem to have the time for that. :) Let's plan DM (east) for this weekend.
 
Wholly fair point about Horde/Alliance queue imbalances.

Paladins are far from useless, but the majority of them haven't twigged that they're not super damage dealers, they're a healer in plate with an all-conquering dispel and a very nasty stun.

Also, Paladins seem either to have 2500 or 5000 mana, with nothing in-between... I can turn the first of those into a gimp in 7.5 seconds flat (since I have Improved Mana Burn), but the second group worries me immensely.

Rather looking forward to Arathi Basin.

Let's do DM (east) in about 45 minutes' time ;^)

--
Slojin
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool