Tobold's Blog
Thursday, September 15, 2005
 
Dell XPS 600

For a number of years my computer buying habits followed a fixed schedule: I would buy a new computer every two year, give my 2-year old computer to my wife, and throw out the 4-year old computer. My wife being new to computer games was mostly playing older, slower games, and thus didn't mind using a computer that was slightly outdated. But since a couple of months we are both playing WoW. Her computer is now 3-and-a-quarter years old, an Athlon XP 2000, 512 MB RAM, with a ATI Radeon 9600 Pro graphics card. And in spite of WoW being less demanding than EQ2, that configuration isn't powerful enough any more. In monster-hunting mode, with graphics details set low, the game runs fine. But using the auction house and mail box in Orgrimmar is a torture. By running the same scene simultaneously on both computers, I was able to make 100% certain that it is really a hardware problem, only the older computer was lagging badly. The newer Athlon XP 3000, 1 GB RAM, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro only had little lag, even in Orgrimmar, with graphics details set to high. Both computers are on the same ADSL router, so it wasn't a connection problem either.

Now I could have bought for about €1000 a computer about as powerful as mine and just replaced the wife's computer with that. But that would probably result in both computers being outdated simultaneously in 2 or 3 years. And even on my 1-and-a-quarter year old computer I do experience hardware related lag sometimes, for example in Alterac Valley battleground. Due to the development of PCI-Express replacing AGP, graphics cards have made a big leap forward. Processors haven't gained all that much in clock speed, but have learned new tricks like hyperthreading. And memory requirements have shot through the roof, the 1 GB that I considered generous one year ago I would now think of as essential.

So I decided to buy a new, more powerful computer, and give mine to the wife, as usual. So next question was where to buy it. Now I was quite happy with the laptop I bought from Dell, and a friend of mine bought a desktop PC from them and was satisfied as well. Furthermore Dell hits my sweet spot of ability to configure my PC. I do get options on their website, but I don't have to choose between millions of options. I neither want a pre-built computer I can change nothing in, nor do I want to assemble the thing myself out of the components. Dell is a good compromise there, and they do give good value for money.

So looking at the Dell website, I noticed that here in Europe they have a new offer, a special computer for gamers, the Dell XPS 600. You *could* put a dual-core CPU in there, two Geforce 7800 graphics cards working in tandem, 1.5 Terrabyte of hard disk, and buy it with a football-field sized flat screen for measly €5000. *Cough* Fortunately you can also get it with just a normal Pentium 640 3.2 GHz CPU, a single Nvidia Geforce 7800, 2 GB of RAM, and 250 GB of hard disk, no screen, for €2200. And that is what I ordered.

That follows an old philosophy of mine that I would rather spend more money on the "infrastructure", as in power supply, motherboard, cooling, and not take the most expensive CPU and graphics. Then I can always add more stuff later. The XPS 600 comes with a 650 W power supply, and lots of cooling fans. By not using the most heat-producing CPU and only one graphics card I will never run into power problems, and the fans will run relatively silently.

Nevertheless, in spite of taking nearly the minimum configuration of the XPS 600, the thing will be a lot faster than my current one. The Pentium 640 is a bit faster than the Athlon 3000, and its hyperthreading is supposed to help with firewalls and virus scanners running in the background while you play games. Doubling the RAM from 1 GB to 2 GB should help with WoW lag. And the Geforce 7800 is one of the fastest cards available right now, should be more than twice as fast as my Radeon 9800 Pro. I expect Dell to deliver the machine in about 2 weeks, and will probably be unable to keep myself from bragging about its incredible speed then. :)
Comments:
Actually ATI is launching their Crossfire technology later this month and their new cards in October.

Crossfire is ATI's answer to SLI... basically using two video cards to display a single image.

If you could wait Crossfire technology is going to be cheaper and has the added benefit of learning from SLI's problems... thus making Crossfire much better.

And trust me... go with the SLI or Crossfire technology now because it will be a requirement in the future. It is already basically riding cheap. A mother board without it is going to cost only a couple hundred less than those with it. That is a rebate coupon :P

So if you can wait... check the Crossfire tech out :)
 
http://www.mwhq.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=7786

Check that post out for what I was looking for.

I built a system via dell and it was 4,000+ american dollars.

CPS with better items was just barely over 2,000 american.

You make the choice :P
 
I am really suprised you dont build your own PC's. You could of put together what you ordered for half the cost.

Once you have the parts it takes maybe an hour to assemble then an hour watching XP load.

To each his own! enjoy the new PC
 
Please keep in mind that I'm in Europe. If I lived in the US, I could either put together the same computer for half the cost, or order something similar cheap from another company. But in Europe computers are more expensive, and there is a lot less choice of possible suppliers, both for custom-built systems and for components. No Alienware, no Falcon Nortwest, nothing. I tried some other sources over here, and found that the same computer from somebody else over here would cost *more* than from Dell.

If I really had to, I probably have enough experience to build my own computer. But often after one hour of assembly and one hour watching XP loading, there is one week of frantic error search, until you found some stupid incompatibility. I still have a discarded SATA hard drive lying around which I never was able to get to work properly. And one of the computers I had custom-built by a friend had unexplainable random crashes every once in a while. Pre-built computers are more expensive, but up to now all of them I experienced were running without problems all the time. Lets say I'm consciously paying a bit more for the peace of mind.
 
I build my own mate, if I can do it, anyone can :P :P

hehe though really you should do what you think your most comfortable with.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool