Tobold's Blog
Thursday, October 27, 2005
 
EVE Online

EVE Online is a strange game. On the one side it is the only MMORPG I know of that is continually growing, recently having reached 70,000 subscribers. This week they reached 17,000 simultaneous players at peak time, which they claim is a world record, because all of these players are playing on the same server. Whenever I see EVE reviewed, the game gets very high scores, just a little lower than World of Warcraft, and usually beating all the other usual suspects.

On the other hand EVE Online is the only MMORPG I bought where I didn't even play through the free month, but gave up after two weeks. And I don't plan a second visit to this game.

Okay, my personal EVE opinion might be negative because of things I experienced in the game, and not because of the game itself. First mistake was playing EVE from day one, after having spent only 2 days in the open beta which just ended. Everybody knows that a MMORPG is not at its best form right after release. Since then as far as I've heard lots of the missing content has been added, and many bugs ironed out. My second mistake was joining a big guild which knew the game from beta, was well organized, and relied on its members "working" for the guild instead of playing. The whole guild would assemble in one sector and start mining. Asteroid after asteroid was hit with mining lasers for hours on end. We didn't even travel back and forth to the space station, we just jettisoned the minerals when our holds were full, and another guild member collected them in a big industrial ship. EVE mining in a guild group is probably the most boring activity I ever did in a MMORPG. Even camping in Everquest for my Mammoth Cloak for 16 hours was more interesting, at least I got to kill a goblin every 23 minutes.

But the final nail on my personal EVE coffin happened when I was not playing with the guild, but was exploring EVE's excellent trading system. Third mistake, I had spotted a great trade opportunity and invested a major part of my personal virtual wealth in a cargo. And although I was transporting the cargo along a path which wasn't all that low security, I ended up getting shot down by a player pirate, who obviously didn't care about the negative consequences to his security status. He even "podded" me, that is shot down my escape pod, which made me lose not only my ship and cargo, but also part of my skills. I know they have been working on the "insurance" system since, slightly limiting the losses to players being shot down, but at that time when it happened to me, it was like losing several levels and most gear in a fantasy MMORPG. Now I'm all for MMORPG having at least a limited penalty for dying, to send you a clear message when you took too much risk. But in that case I didn't consider having taken an outrageous risk, I just had the bad luck of running into a griefer player, and the penalty for that was really crippling. After that I just couldn't stand that game any more.

Trying to consolidate my personal dislike with the fact that some people obviously like EVE Online very much, my conclusion is that EVE Online is a hardcore game, for hardcore players, and although I play *a lot*, I don't like playing *hard*.

The internet is full of great stories which players experienced or rather orchestrated in EVE Online. I don't think there are stories as complex about World of Warcraft, because in WoW killing another player isn't much of an inconvenience for the victim, and trying to scam him out of his virtual riches will probably fail due to lack of plausible "investment opportunities". While EVE makes for a more interesting life with better stories, on the other hand there is always a player victim suffering major hurt. As I can't stand the heat, I'll stay out of this particular kitchen.

In principle you could play this game without partaking in those big stories, without working on the big guild (sorry, corporation) politics. But unless things have dramatically changed since I left, EVE doesn't offer much of an alternative. Sure, you can just mine in safe sectors and do some small trade only following absolutely safe trade routes. But that would make for a rather boring game. Mining is terribly unfun, and profits from safe trading are tiny. Supposedly there is now something resembling "quests", but I doubt that the system rivals World of Warcraft quests in entertainment value. And unlike WoW, even as casual solo player you risk getting caught up in the stories of the hardcore. Unaffiliated players are often accused of being spies, and are shot down when they enter a sector which a big corporation claims as their own. No, EVE just isn't a good place for the casual gamer.

Now I leave explaining why EVE Online is so great for the hardcore gamer to one of them. I can see the principal attraction of being able to shake the world, but the amount of work and dedication required for that scares me off. In a game where the strong rule over the weak, you either need to put in a lot of effort, or you end up being the victim. The assured steady progress for everybody of a game like World of Warcraft is more my style.
Comments:
I think for me, it is the virtual worldness of EVE that appeals to me over WoW.

I played WoW to 60, then though so what now... well I could start again, but the quests are exactly the same, my character can't really get much better except by spending long chunks of time doing hardcore raiding, or I can do hardcore PvP for little to no benefit.

EVE on the other hand provides me with so much to do...
 
The big question is whether you can achieve virtual worldness without exposing players to the danger of substantial losses. Does worldness require winners and losers? WoW doesn't have the same feeling of worldness, but it doesn't have losers either. Nobody wants to pay $15 per month to play a loser. And not everybody has the time and dedication required to be a winner in a competitive game like EVE.
 
I've been looking into EVE these past few weeks. One thing alot of posts and guides seem to say is something along the lines of: "You will have your ship destroyed. You will be PODDED. Get used to it".

Taking that on board, you must play cautious. Never put all you virtual eggs in one mega-basket of a deal. At the beginning of the game, with no large investments in expensive ships, you can afford to make mistakes and be killed alot.

It certianly sounds like a very hard core game to me...but...I think that even a casual gamer could probably get something out of it IF their smart. Definately a case of playing smarter, not harder...and also being very philosophical about death and loss. With out the right mental approach, the game will certainly be a bugger to enjoy.

It breaks the mold from other RPGs, and I think its hard to think of it in the same terms as we do WoW and EQ. And some of the things I've read about it are remarkable.
 
Can you achieve virtual worldness without exposing players to the danger of substantual losses? Not if you want an interesting world.

I think thats an important point. I played WoW to 60 and I had a lot of fun with it. However WoW is like a kids playground, where everything is soft and cushy, no sharp edges, it is designed to be fun but no one gets hurt. EVE on the other hand is like the world outside the playground. There are sharp bits, you can get hurt, there are nasty people out there, you could get scammed.

However that is what makes it so much fun! You choose what risks to take, and sometimes they pay off and sometimes they don't. It is however always your choice. There really is very, very little potential for loss in EVE if you choose to stay in high security space and never join a corporation.

Just like the real world, if I never left my house I will be safe (baring stupid acts on my part). Likewise in EVE, the worst rats you will face in 0.5 - 1.0 space are some frigates that any noob a couple of weeks old could kill (I know cos that was me just a few months ago!), and just like the real world, if I never left my house, I would be missing out on 90% of what the world has to offer.

In many ways I think EVE is the perfect game for the casual player who prefers quality over quantity. When I wasn't playing my WoW character, all I was getting was rest XP. When I'm at work not playing my EVE character, I'm getting more skills! When I get home to play for an hour or so, I get to do what I want, because I don't have to worry about XP.

The only thing you need to grind is money, and even that doesn't take very long. If you want to get involved with PvP, you can be highly effective in gangs of frigates and cruisers.
 
These comments are fairly out-of-date now.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool