Tobold's Blog
Tuesday, October 18, 2005
 
www.Tobold.com

Every blog is only partially about its subject matter, the other part is always about the blog's author. So excuse me, while I go on another ego trip. :)

I'm not ashamed to admit that sometimes I like to look how well received this blog is. For example I recently discovered that I come out on top of a search for the term "MMORPG" on Google's new blog search engine. That made me a bit proud, although I'm quite aware that I'm probably cheating on this particular score by using Blogger, which is owned by Google. But normally I just look, and don't do anything special to promote my blog or my name.

That doesn't mean that the name "Tobold" isn't important to me. The name has come to represent that part of my life that is related to my hobbies, computers and games. But as I stole it 20 years ago for my first AD&D character from the annex of the Lord of the Rings, I was never the exclusive holder of that name. When I wrote my first website, I found that other people had taken all possible www.Tobold.somethinguseful spaces, and had to use another name for it. This blog carries my name, here I ran into grammatical difficulties. Tobold.blogspot.com sounded just awful, and Tobold's.blogspot.com wasn't possible, so I had to ditch the apostrophe and go for Tobolds.blogspot.com.

Today I visited GoDaddy, my domain name provider, to look when the domain registration for the website I don't use any more would run out. And just for fun I typed "Tobold" in the search field to see with what they would come up. And to my surprise www.Tobold.com wasn't taken any more, whoever owned it before must have given it up. So I spent $72 for a 10-year lease of www.Tobold.com, and linked the adress to this blog. That is pretty much useless, but somehow owning that domain pleases me immensely. Talk about owning virtual property, it doesn't get any more virtual than a domain with your name on it.

So, if you have trouble remembering Tobolds.blogspot.com, you can use www.Tobold.com from now on, and it will get you to the same place. :)
Comments:
Congrats on snagging the name!!
 
Congrats sir.
 
I got WivelrodsTower.com - I could have had Wivelrod.com - but decided against it. Wivelrod is actually the bizzarre name of a small village not far from me that I thought sounded like an inept mage from a bad trash fantasy novel.

Grats on getting Tobold.com :) (FYI, we once had another "Tobold" in the guild, back in our DAOC days ;) )
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool