Tobold's Blog
Wednesday, November 02, 2005
 
Casual player mission statement

Back in the time when Everquest was the game of choice of most MMORPG players, it was easy to see who was a power gamer, and who was a casual gamer: The power gamer had one or more characters who were of the highest possible level, and went on raids. The casual player only had lower level characters, and didn't go on raids. And I was clearly in the casual gamer camp, never having gone higher than level 42, and never having participated in a raid.

With World of Warcraft, things are getting more complicated. A much larger percentage of people reach level 60, because it is only a matter of time, and the game is now old enough to have given enough time even to casual players. And once at level 60, even casual gamers are at least occasionally trying to get into a raid, because there isn't much else to do. So with me having a warrior at level 60, having killed Lucifron in Molten Core, and having played 30 hours per week for the last year, I have the outer appearance of a power gamer. But looking into my soul, I rather think of myself as a casual gamer. So what makes me casual? I think it is mainly a question of intent, what I am trying to get out of a game. So here is my casual players mission statement:
I don't know if that is a complete definition of "casual player", but I think it covers a good part of the casual attitude. Anything essential I forgot?
Comments:
Three cheers for the casual gamers of the world. :)

"If leveling to higher levels feels like a treadmill, I simply refuse to do it. I can play alts, I can quit the game, I do not feel that I "failed" in any way if I never make it to the top."

I'd just like to add that I think this indicates that the game makers "failed".
 
This is a really good post.

The first one seems a bit strange because while I also do not play to achieve anything, sometimes when a certain goal is reached I still get a wonderful sense of achievement.
 
I agree with those sentiments mate :)

I've quit most MMORPGs in the past because they've became a treadmill. Only in WoW and CoH have I reached the level cap, games that are both have a casual friendly playstyle (well, in WoWs case up to level 60).

I want to be entertained. I want to be challenged (its not accurate to say that casual gamers like things easy). I want to progress. I want to explore the world and have a sense of wonder about it.

I want to do all this in great company, that puts no pressure on me to be the perfect gamer (even though I of course am :P :P )
 
Neither I nor my little brother (with all the time in the world) bothered to get past level 30 in WoW. It's just too much of a treadmill, and so much damned walking and returning to the same areas over and over. And it's impossible to just go walkabout all over the map and try to sneak your away around enemies and and just explore. You always get infinitely powerful enemies sicced on you and instant death if you wander into the wrong place... I like the basic concept of huge world mmorpgs but everyone I've tried was just not built for (my) casual gaming
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool