Tobold's Blog
Friday, November 18, 2005
 
MMORPGs of 2005?

Okay, so I spent most of this year in a cave called World of Warcraft and didn't have much time to look for other games. But now that I crawled out of that cave and am looking around, I'm a bit disappointed. Where are the MMORPGs of 2005? Is it just me, or aren't there many of them? The only major new MMORPG I can think of is Guild Wars. There were some expansion sets, and a sequel/expansion in City of Villains. But most of the new games seem to be expected only for next year.

Is that the "giant sucking sound" of World of Warcraft attracting all the players, with all the other game companies lying low until WoW has run its course? The right time to release a new game would be now, that WoW is a year old and the expansion set is still far away, so you can get the christmas sales.

Well, there will be lots of new games next year. And it will be interesting to see whether these can profit from World of Warcraft having expanded the market, or whether they will troubles fighting for a spot in the sun.
Comments:
One year from now, you probably can post the same entry only change the 2005 to 2006. This years honorable mention really is only GW, can we say sleeper hit? I mean do we seriously measure one MMOs success since WoW to the 5 mill user base? I really doubt, that WoW userbase will be the MMO crowd of the future. The majority of WoWs user base started and will end their MMO story with this single game. I guess we talk about a us/european core base of around 1 million. Those are the guys coming from UO, EQ, DAoC... What i would like to see is, that the WoW userbase spreads out into all the different options (SOEs stuff, GW, EVE you name it), after getting hooked into the genre. That would be really nice, but i fear thats not gonna happen.

Next year will be quite interesting. We know Blizzard will sell a shitload of addons. I want to see how SOE tries to continue to adapt WoWs success. The SWG changes are just the beginning i hope. Vanguard, if we even see the release next year is kinda special too. I am seriously hyped and i want to be, but the more i read about it, the more it reminds me of all the crap EQ throw at me. I wanna see, what will happen to EQ1 when V is released, cause i know a lot of people and guilds still playin EQ1, waiting for the V release. We wont see console MMO break through next year yet, would be too early i think. But when it happens, things will change big way. I wanna see a good SciFi EQ/WoW clone, damn you Microsoft, use the fantastic Shadowrun license for god sake. >:)
 
Has going up against WoW frightened off the competition? Maybe, or at least their taking more care to get things "right" which has resulted in delays till next year.

Blizzard have done a very good job at attracting both new and existing MMOG players, and holding their attention for a long time. For me, I'm no longer one of those people - I've grown jaded about WoW due to the repetitive nature of the end game play (though I want to see Molten Core to the end, I don't want to have to repeat it 50 times just to collect a "set").

Whilst I'm enjoying City of Villains, theres still something lacking in the current batch of MMOGs that I enjoyed so much in Asherons Call. I don't know if it was the newness of it, the expanse of zoneless wilderness to explore or some other magical factor - but nothing has "hooked" me so much since. Some recent Single Player games have given me far more stimulating experiances recently (Call of Duty 2, X3, F.E.A.R) - and with many others to order and play (Paper Mario for instance ;) ), do I really need the distraction of a MMOG anymore? Sometimes, they seem to generate more frustration than their worth. Thus I'm looking more and more back to single player games to provide my gaming "kick".

/end ramble

PS - Have you signed up on the new guild website yet Tobold? ;)
 
U gonna check out Settlers of Ganareth?
 
Dark and Light: Settlers of Ganareth is definitely on the list of games to have a look at. But as the beta starts in December, the release will only be somewhere in 2006.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool