Tobold's Blog
Saturday, January 21, 2006
 
WoW high-end content

Blizzard posted a new page outlining all the options you have once you reached level 60. Besides farming faction or raiding, they *do* recommend leveling an alt, which is my preferred option.

On the WoW messsage boards there is an interesting thread on that issue.
In January 2004 (when you were just an Associate Designer), Jeff Kaplan (Tigole) stated this:

"The single most important thing to remember when creating a game is that it must be FUN. When someone sits down to play your MMO, they are doing so to be entertained. An MMO should not feel like a job or obligation. It's very important not to fall into that trap of trying to manipulate your community, as if you're trying to run an ant farm. As a designer, it's your responsibility to create a world that's exciting, challenging, and FUN. It's not your job to play god over someone's play experience."

Now that you are Lead Designer for WoW, the vision and direction of WoW have changed since its release. The Level 1-59 game certainly lived up to the philosophy you espouced. The game seems to have changed direction since its release under your watch.

In the 1-59 game, players have fun choices for advancing their character. WoW never felt like work, and never felt like you were forced into any particular direction. Conversely, there are only a few options upon reaching the endgame: 1) Raid, 2) Grind for Reputation, or 3) Grind for PvP Rank. Most people agree that neither of these three are fun.

I'm not sure that the vision for WoW has changed. I'd guess they are just trying to make all sorts of player happy. But I do have to agree that I don't find raiding or end-game grinding for reputation or honor fun. I would like to have more low- and mid-level content added, instead of every content patch adding another raid dungeon like in the past. I am looking forward to the Burning Crusade expansion, which basically adds another 10 levels to the fun part of WoW, and pushes the unfun part further back. Nevertheless it would be great if somebody came up with a new idea of what to do at level 60 which neither involves gathering 20+ people nor is an repetitive grind.
Comments:
The problem with leveling an alt is that you know the fate that awaits. As you and I have discussed, the level 1 to 10 game is repeatable up to six times without seeing the same content. After that it's a funnel to sameness.

More content would help, but only in reducing the sameness of leveling. *Alternatives* to leveling could be considered, like a real crafting system or separate Realm gear for all of the non-endgame Battlegrounds.

Alas, I doubt that's going to happen. WoW is traveling the path EQ1 set. While EQ1 has changed quite a bit, the true changes have mostly been for the veterans.

Of course, WoW could have a few million vets in two or three years, so it's all good :)
 
After levling my 2nd char to 60, I find I have less desire to partake in the end-game 5-15-man groups/raids. I did *so* many of those with my first 60, I feel a little burned out on them. Add in that I'm not a huge fan of the 20 or 40-man instances, due to time commitment required, relative scarcity of loot, and funky loot rules, and I'm lookin' for something to do. I don't like grinding for rep either. So... time to level up *another* alt? Or do I wait for the Expansion, knowing there will be a new class, new race, and new areas? I just don't know.
 
Even leveling alts is a canned experience. 1 for horde and 1 for alliance... then you've pretty much seen a lot.

I still have my own theories which I'm jotting down, but I think Blizzard has people right where they want them.
 
I burnt out at 60 - I don't enjoy farming (for xp, gold, items or faction). I love to explore but apart from the odd rare patch theres little left to explore. And though I love the teamwork required in raiding, once our team could conquer UBRS everytime the novelty wore off and it was no longer "fun".

Even MC became boring, and although I would like to see MC all the way to the end, Id only like to see it once thanks very much! I have little interest in needing continually repeat the same content.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool