Tobold's Blog
Wednesday, February 22, 2006
 
WoW Journal - 22-February-2006

Another evening, another pickup group to Scholomance. Only this time it was a pickup raid group of 10 people. That *does* make the place a lot easier, and instead of just reaching Rattlegore after 2 hours, in the same time we had finished the whole dungeon.

We still wiped a couple of times. It is depressing if you take care to explain beforehand that in the chamber of summoning the summoners need to be killed quickly, and then nobody listens, some badly controlled pets aggro more summoners, and your raid gets wiped by over 30 summoned skeletons. Okay, it *was* kind of funny, and certainly a sight to see, but not really a good way to handle that place.

Transfer of information in a pickup group seems to be a problem. There were several people in the raid who had been to Scholomance before, and who all tried to warn the others of the more dangerous features, like ghouls exploding into poisonous clouds. Nevertheless most people who hadn't been there before only learned to stay out of the cloud by dying at least once from them.

We also had the usual fights of a warrior rolling "need" on some bow of which the hunters in the group thought that it should be reserved for them. But that isn't really a pickup group problem, we have exactly the same discussion on our guild forums. It is actually a running joke on many WoW discussion forums to call any good melee weapon a "hunter weapon", due to the fact that such a good melee weapon is often useable by hunters, and they will roll on it even if somebody else in the group is obviously doing a lot more melee combat.

The raid got me some Argent Dawn reputation, and one minor green item that I disenchanted into eternal essences. But we were extremely unlucky with cloth drops, most of the stuff that did drop was leather. The only cloth we found was giving additional frost spell damage, and was obviously a mage item, not for priests.

But the major disadvantage of the pickup raid was that in a raid I couldn't do any quests. I really want to do the quest series starting with the ghost of the woman standing in front of Scholomance, which ends up giving you a trinket that allows you to speak with all the ghosts of Caer Darrow. But that one requires three trips to Scholomance, each with a group, not a raid. I'd also like to do the Barov family fortune quest, as it gives a nice item to summon zombies to fight for you. But that requires a really good group, as the last deed you have to collect for that in Scholomance is guarded by a rather tough boss mob. I never got that far with Raslebol, I hope I can do it with Kyroc.
Comments:
Forget raiding Scholo with Kyroc. The only useful item for priests that drops there is the Devout Crown at the end boss, so you have to wade through masses of trash mobs and bosses that don't drop anything interesting.

It's much more efficient and interesting to get a good guild group and do the quest series that leads up to the quest "The Lich, Ras Frostwhisper". As a reward, you receive the Crown of Caer Darrow ( http://www.thottbot.com/?i=21093 ), which is pretty similar to the Devout Crown (alas, it has Frost Resistance, which is pretty useless at least in PvE). For me, doing all the Scholo quests in a five man group was the best "end game experience" I had in WoW, because it's imo the most difficult 5 man instance in the game. Finishing all the Scholo quests was a very satisfying experience for me, much more satisfying than killing Onyxia or Molten Core bosses.

Do I remember correctly that you wrote that Raslebol is an alchemist? You *should* do the quest series for the trinket with Raslebol too, because then you can buy the recipe for the Major Mana Potion, which will be very useful for Kyroc ;)
 
Of course Kyroc got the trinket for talking with the ghosts and getting the major mana potion recipe long ago.

I just never finished the Barov family fortune, and got stuck in the "The Human Ras Frostwhisper" stage of the quest, where you first need to transform the Lich into a human before killing him. Unfortunately the transformation is a type of channeling, and every time I try, I get interrupted by the knockback, even if I have a wall in my back. This step might be easier with Kyroc, who wouldn't be expected to tank the lich while trying to transform him.
 
The Barov Peasant Caller isn't all that great a trinket, in my opinion. It summons 3 humanoids to fight for you for something like 10-15 seconds. They don't do much damage. The best use for it that I found was in duels against casters where the humanoids interrupted casting.

The channeling part of the Ras quest is terribly annoying. I did the quest on my Paladin way back in a raid group (when you could drop from the raid and do quests). It took me quite a while to successfully channel and complete the quest. Even then, I had to keep reminding the raid *not* to kill the boss (less of a problem with a 5-man, I'm sure). As a Priest, you may need a group with another healer along in order to do the quest since if you're channeling you won't be healing.
 
Seems this is rogue week on the loot tables. One UBRS run, two Stratholme mop-ups (both sides), and it was pretty much all rogue weapons and leather drops.
 
Barov Peasant Caller I found best for doing in rogues in PvP, but overall there is so many better trinkets you will have gotten by then 0_o I think my Barov Peasant Caller got the disenchant own.T

My first run in Scholo was with a 10 man raid and it took us 5 hours to do the whole thing... with swapping of the main tank right before we got to the baron. I inviited a main tank friend from a raiding guild who agreed to come if he could roll on baron loot (forget what he wanted). He was in the group for 15 minutes and we mopped out the baron area... he was 100% more efficient than the previous "I'm uber dude" tank we had. Sadly all the loot was unusable or duplicates of what people already had. I got the 2 hand mace with the skull and backbone... I used it for a while cause it looked cool.

Then my main tank friend invited me to another Scholo run a week later or so to show me how it was done 5 man. Wow... 45 minutes in and the baron was down. I had to leave though after that :(

The difference gear makes (meta levels) is insane. I hate Blizzard :(
 
The baron is in Stratholme, undead side, not in Scholomance. I will need to go to Stratholme as well, but more on the live side to get righteous orbs for tailoring.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool