Tobold's Blog
Friday, March 10, 2006
 
Chrysler PT Cruiser

I'm not a big car fanatic, and I with most cars I can't even immediately tell you what brand they are when I see them. But this week in the USA my rental car was a Chrysler PT Cruiser, and that car has such a unique shape, even I could recognize it.

I didn't choose it, but I was quite happy when I found out what I had got. The PT Cruiser is a "small" car, compared to American standards, but it has lots of headroom, and it being short in length just makes it more maneuverable. The driver is placed relatively high, and I like that, it gives me a much better view around than a low built car. Drove 200 miles in one stretch with it, nearly 4 hours at US speed limits, and found the drive quite comfortable. Of course in the US I can use cruise control, which wouldn't be a good idea on most European highways.

But of course the major attraction of this car is the retro look, reminding you of Chicago in the 30s, or Al Capone. I find the car looks pretty cool. Nevertheless I wouldn't buy one, the cool look comes with a hefty price tag over here in Europe. The basic 1.6 version already costs 16.000 Euro, and the better 2.2 model cost 22.000 Euro. (Multiply with 1.2 to get the $ price tag.) And for owning a car I tend to prefer reliability over good looks, thus I go for Toyota. But for driving it as a rental for a week, the PT Cruiser sure was fun.
Comments:
Oh, and I forgot to mention the strangest feature of the PT Cruiser: This was the first car I've seen that has a compass.
 
I want to get a compass for our car, a little Ford Focus, because the wife constantly calls me asking for directions.

Are you facing north or south? I ask her.
I don't know.
Is the sun ahead of you, or behind you?
I don't know!
Where are the mountains? To your left or right?
I DON'T KNOW!!! I CAN'T EVEN SEE THE %&$#^@!!! MOUNTAINS!!!

I usually get her to drive one block so I can work out which street she's on, and which way she's heading, because telling her to "go north on Broadway" doesn't help her if she doesn't know which way is north ;)

Aah, good times.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool