Tobold's Blog
Tuesday, March 28, 2006
 
Elder Scrolls: Oblivion

Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, the follow-up to Morrowind, is out. Lots of people like it very much, noting improvements over the predecessor. As far as I know, the game is as close as you can get to a MMORPG while playing a single-player RPG, offering a similar degree of freedom.

I'm not going to play it. I shelled out good money for Morrowind when that one came out, and then only played it very little. The reason for that was mainly that the cursor was fixed in the middle of the screen. If you wanted to click on something, you basically moved the camera until that item was in the middle of screen, under the cursor. This control system caused me video game motion sickness, so after half an hour I got nausea and headaches, which didn't exactly endear the game to me. Furthermore while I do enjoy the freedom of MMORPGs, I also enjoy the ability of playing with other people, so I don't exactly need a single-player version of it.

If there is ever a downloadable demo of the game out, I'll try if Oblivion causes me nausea as well. But with my time tied up solidly in WoW, and the risk that I can't play the game, I'm not going to spend 50 bucks on it now. I'm afraid you will have to look for a review elsewhere.
Comments:
Same style of point and click this time I'm afraid mate.

give it a try when a demo is available, maybe the "type" of 3D wont screw your head so much. Shame if it does though, it is a very very good game.

Despite it being sinlge player ;)
 
Along Brian's tangent, I *just* bought a new computer (parts arriving today and Thursda) because I couldn't take the horrible WoW fps and lag of my current/old computer. I am positive that my first sign-in on my new computer will see me weeping with joy for a non-laggy, good-graphics-laden WoW.
 
I had similar motion sickness problems in the past with similar games. Most of the time, I simply can't play any game that's 1st person. Oblivion looks amazing, but my brain will probably not be able to handle it. I'll rent it, just to give it a shot, but I don't think it's going to work. :-(
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool