Tobold's Blog
Monday, March 27, 2006
 
WoW Journal - 27-March-2006

I didn't play all that much this weekend, but at the times where I played, I was quite successful in my endeavors.

I don't know how other people manage to save enough cash for an epic mount, I always spend my money for other things that I find more important. Raslebol just spent most of his money, 180 gold, on a recipe for Greater Nature Protection potions. I had tried to farm for that recipe myself, killed hundreds of nature elementals in a slime-infested cave in the plaguelands, and finally given up. Now I was happy enough to buy the recipe, I don't see it in the AH very often.

I think the problem is that the drop rate of 1% listed on Thottbot and Allakhazam is wrong: the data collection program they are using only counts drops *if* the mob drops something. If there is loot, there is a 1% chance of the loot being the recipe. But in over half of the cases there is no loot at all, pushing the chance of finding a recipe per kill to far below 1%. By the way, these databases are even more wrong if you look for drop rates of quest items. If 90 people kill the mob without having the quest, and 10 kill it with the quest, and the mob drops the quest item every time for people who have the quest, the database will show a drop rate of 10%. Which doesn't tell you anything about the real drop chance, as you don't know how many people had the quest at the time of killing the mob.

Anyway, now Raslebol has the "greater" versions of the potions that absorb nature, fire, arcane, and shadow damage. I'm just missing the frost potion, for which I will need help. It is dropped by level 59 to 60 elite giants in Wintersprings. I tried soloing them, but barely survived and spent far too many potions and bandages to beat just one of them. I need at least a second player to help if I want to farm them for the recipe.

Saturday I joined a guild raid group which was supposed to try to kill Onyxia. But only 20 people turned up, as not everybody who was interested had the key. At least I could enter Onyxia's lair, and use a potion of Dream Vision to sneak into her cave, have a look around, and do a screenshot. But then the raid group wisely decided to try AQ20 instead. Ahn'Qiraj was a success in that we were finally able to vanquish the first boss, Kurinnaxx. In previous tries my priest had tried to run around a lot to avoid sand traps, which turned out to be futile. Now I doffed a Greater Nature Protection potion and stood still, only running if I noticed a sand trap appearing next to me. Standing away from everybody else, behind Kurinnaxx, helped. Even that running didn't succeed all the time, but the potion kept me alive, and 15 seconds silence just served for mana regeneration. Another winning factor was that our tanks switched aggro much more often, basically after getting one or two debuffs. If you wait until the main tank has 4 debuffs before switching to the next tank, it often is already too late. No loot for me, but the satisfaction of having killed another raid boss. We then worked out a strategy to deal with the waves of mobs coming before the next boss. That worked well enough for the first two waves, but something went wrong on the third wave (are they getting harder?) and we wiped. As you then have to start over from wave one, we decided to try another day.

On Sunday I played Waldin, my shaman, and hit level 35. So I went on a voyage to different engineering trainers. I learned artisan engineering, raising my skill cap to 300, and gnome engineering. It is possible that goblin engineering might be more useful for leveling, by having better recipes for bombs and mines. But I was mainly interesting in the silly gnome gadgets. I already built some, like the Gnomish Battle Chicken, or the Gnomish Death Ray, but have yet to try them out. I'm aware that gnomish gadgets have a chance to backfire, and thus might not be the thing to use in a group, where you could hurt other people. But for soloing it might be fun, even if you end up hurting yourself. Now my only problem is getting to 300 skill, after using all my hoarded resources I only got up to 265. Many engineering items use a lot of different resources, thus are expensive to make, and as only other engineers can use them, they usually don't sell well. I leveled a lot making mithril bullets for guns, but ended up selling most of them to a NPC vendor, as all the high-level hunters use the better thorium bullets.

We held a guild meeting on Sunday, which helped to resolve some conflicts, but not all of them. I wasn't really surprised when that resulted in some people leaving the guild. There are so many different goals and play styles in World of Warcraft, it is impossible for one guild to make everybody happy.

After the guild meeting there were two events, a high-level raid, and a smaller 10-man raid to BRD to help some people get their attunement to the core quest finished. As BRD is going to change to be 5-man only in the next patch, we took the opportunity to get 6 people attuned in one run while it was still easy. And easy it was, I buffed everybody with a Prayer of Fortitude at the start, and that buff still had 6 minutes going when we reached the crystal for the attunement, thus only 54 minutes from start to end. We didn't lose time killing any unnecessary bosses, just the ambassador and the hall of seven, which you can't bypass. I played raid leader with Kyroc, we had one experienced warrior as main tank, and one hunter with lots of raid experience as main assist. So we basically pretended this was a serious raid, and taught the people in the group who hadn't done much raiding before how to wait until the MT gets some aggro, and then attack when the MA acquires a target. That wouldn't have been strictly necessary, but it served as good training, and we sliced through BRD like a hot knife through butter. I was rather pleased with that.
Comments:
That Nature Prot recipe is a nightmare, I stopped counting after 300 kills. I must have put in over 10 hours on and off by the time I got it, by which time I'd bought one off the AH. Still, managed to sell my dropped one for a little more than what I paid, which was nice =)
 
The third wave of mobs during the General event in AQ20 is slightly different: The Captain has a really nasty AOE that will mop the floor with you. My guild usually takes the Swarmguard Needlers out first and then kills the Captain, but on wave 3 we have the Priests in the raid use their AOE fear on the Needlers so we can burn the Captain down as quickly as possible. The Captains of waves 4-7, fortunately, don't do this.
 
My 60 lock solos the elite giants in Winterspring pretty easily by fear-kiting them; I wonder if the fear spells from your priest can do the same?

About mithril slugs and gyro-shot: my 300 engineer used to AH them for pretty good money, to mid-level hunters I assume. But I only put on a few at a time, keeping many stacks in the bank.
 
180 G for the GNP recipe? That's terrible... On my server (EU-Gilneas, which is probably among the highest-populated European PvE servers), there's always at least one recipe for sale in the AH. Prices started at around 120 when AQ was opened, I bought it for 80 about one month ago, nowadays you can buy it for around 60... Unfortunately it turned out that I cannot make money with the potions, probably because the few raidgroups that need them don't buy them in the AH. So I'll stick to selling Elixir of the Mongoose, which is a solid money-maker for almost a year now.

changedx, the warlock's wonderful fear-kiting strategy does not work with the priest, because the priest's fear spell (Psychic Scream) has a duration of max. 8 seconds and has a 30 sec. cooldown (without Shadow Talents). On the positive side, it is insta-cast and affects up to 5 enemies. It is very handy for quests where you have to pick up an item that is guarded by mobs or if you want to pickup a black lotus between the elite mobs in Winterspring - just shield, run in, fear, and pick up the item/flower (and in case of the black lotus hope that it does not fail ;)

Regarding the second AQ20 boss fight: on the Alliance side, there is a PvP flagged human paladin NPC, who will help you if you talk to him. He has a pretty helpful health-restoring aura. Is this guy also in a Horde instance (I guess not), or do you have someone else?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool