Tobold's Blog
Sunday, April 16, 2006
 
More on Oblivion

A friend lent me his copy of Oblivion, so I could try it out. I played it for half an hour before deciding I didn't like it. Just like in Morrowind the cursor is fixed in the middle of the screen. If you want to do anything, you need to move the camera so that the cursor is over the item or mob you want to interact with. That means a LOT of camera movement, which causes me video game motion sickness. I just can't play this.

I found out how to use the mouse wheel to switch to third person mode, so I see my character from behind. But in that case the cursor still is in front of my character, and I just can't see the cursor any more at all, as I can't see through the head of my avatar. Really stupid control system.

Anyway, I'm not a fan of the class-less, level-less skill system that this series has. Because you *do* have a hidden level, you just don't know it. Your skills tell you how good you are in fighting, and to kill a certain monster, you need a certain amount of fighting skill. Same as level, just harder to know what you need. Especially since you don't get any info about how hard the monsters are that you see, you can just attack and hope they aren't too hard for you.

The graphics aren't bad, but they are more in the EQ2 photo-realistic style, with grey goblins in a grey cave, not very visible. I do prefer the cartoonish WoW style. In the end, Oblivion is just a MMORPG without the MMO part, making it less interesting to me. I'll give the game back to my friend.
Comments:
I also suffer from the "motion sickness" as we have posted about in the past.

But a buddy convinced me to pick up Oblivion and i just play in the 3rd person perspective. takes some "retraining" for movement and picking up things.

but it is a great game, i think they learned from WOW on always having something to do. i am about 25 hours played in and havent done one main storyline yet. it is full of non-linear quests which make the game fun.

its been a nice change of not doing the same thing everytime i log onto WOW. its like WOW when you first made your toon. a whole new world that you know nothing about yet.

enjoy
 
Just one little correction to make, in Oblivion you do have a level. You start at level one and gain experience while adventuring. Eventually you hit level 2 and get more hps/mana, etc.

Your other points remain valid though :b

The game also runs fairly poorly on my machine unless I turn the settings down a fair bit. I wanted a game with awesome graphics (which it has) but its not much use if you have to turn the settings down so far you can't appreciate them. Maybe I should have waited until I could afford an Xbox360. Oh well.
 
Okay, now I know it wasn't just me. We installed the game yesterday and after 4 hours, I still couldn't get used to the controls. I don't like using the mouse to pivot my view, and as you said, in third person, I can't even see the cursor. I thought I was stupid and doind something wrong. I kept using the mouse wheel to change back and forth between 1st person and 3rd to interact with elements.

I'm afraid that WOW has set the standard for ease of use in navigation, interaction and movement. This wasn't cutting it for me. Besides which, I'm a chick and there's not one cute character for me to trot around in as my alter ego. And I spent time trying :-(
 
OK a bit late to comment now but in my experience video game seasickness is almost always attributable to monitor and framerate issues. Lowering graphics detail to get a better framerate can help. Also syncing the graphics refresh rate to the monitor's refresh rate helps.
 
I liked the controls, liked the game and still like it.
I know that like and dislike are subjective opinions, so I will try to focus on some of the game ups and downs.
First good thing is that the game is open, meaning you can go anywhere and do anything, without having to complete main quest. You can play days and months, and not to skratch main quest. Modular nature of the game is another big plus, because there are tons of mods for Oblivion, and modding is quite easy.
One thing that I think is bad, that there is no feeling of "dynamics" of the world of Tamriel. There are people, all right and all kinds of creatures, but no "big picture" events are happening, if you don't start it. I remember when I first played Gothic II, I was captured by changes thet happen in the world: the cities under siege, enamy faction of Orcs with their scouts all around, and mercenaries that may like you and then again they may not. The world of Oblivion looks a lot better, but there is something boring about all those smiling orcs or bears that attack you on sight (real bear would probably learn to run in most of the cases, considering all those armed people walking around). All around, I would give Oblivion 9,5/10 score. Even if I would have motion sickness. IMHO.
 
I had the same problem with Oblvion I got totally sick after a hour of those blades of grass made me sick. never really occured to me that it was Motion Sickness.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool