Tobold's Blog
Wednesday, May 24, 2006
 
WoW Journal - 24-May-2006

I leveled my shaman to 41 yesterday. As I'm still avoiding the horrible Stranglethorn Vale, I'm discovering level 40 quests in other places, some of which were even new to me. One very nice, hidden, level 40 quest is in the Dustwallow Marsh. There is a hut with a guy named "Swamp Eye" Jarl, who gives very bad quests (best avoid doing those), but in his garden is a freshly dug grave. When you click on it first, you find a hand. Bring the hand to Brackenwall Village gives you a reward, but no clue that the quest isn't finished. You need to go back to the same grave, and by further digging find a head. From that starts a quest where you boil the head in a troll voodoo cauldron in Grom'Gol to make him speak, which then gives you a quest to find a necklace from crab men in Dustwallow Marsh. After handing the quest in at Brackenwall, you are sent to Orgrimmar, where you get the choice between two very nice blue rings. Well worth it, and I guess not many people did that quest.

From there I moved to Arathi, going to another area which is a bit hidden, Faldir's Cove. You can only get there by swimming from Hillsbrad or Wetlands, or by jumping off the cliffs near Stromgarde. In the cove is a stranded pirate ship with the crew giving you lots of level 40 quests, many of which you can do together by fighting naga under water a bit further out at sea. No problem for a shaman with a water breathing spell, but other classes are advised to bring a water breathing potion.

The reason I'm playing my shaman is that my level 60 characters can't find a group to where they want to go. I joined a new guild, but it has few level 60 chars. So besides helping them do Uldaman or Sunken Temple, I'm not dungeoneering any more. Yesterday people from my old guild asked me whether I could help them in UBRS, but it turned out they only needed somebody to unlock the door for them, and already has a priest, so I couldn't join with Kyroc to get my Drakki's blood. I was joking about my career development in my old guild, from guild master to doorman. :) I could probably have joined their Onyxia raid, but I didn't want to go with my warrior, and the priest, as mentioned, still needs the last step for the key.

What I noticed is that in the virtual "hierarchy" from the top uber guilds, to raiding guilds, to non-raiding guilds, down to the non-guilded people, the class mix changes. Basically in WoW there are too many people playing solo classes like hunters, and not enough people playing healers. Thus all the priests are very sought after, and quickly get recruited into raiding guilds. So if you try to gather a group from small, non-raiding guilds, there is never a priest to be found. That is rather annoying, because while I could just play my priest, I still need to go to the bar in BRD with my warrior. I grinded Thorium Brotherhood faction to honored some time ago already, but that doesn't help me much if the recipes sold as reward for having achieved the faction are in the middle of a dungeon I can't find a group for.
Comments:
Actually there's a tunnel that leads down to Faldir's Cove behind Stromgard Keep. You're right, though, it's a great quest line. Ties into quests in STV eventualy.
 
A few months ago I did the mound-of-dirt quest line but got stuck at the necklace from crab men in Dustwallow Marsh. Very low drop rate, from what I remember, and I gave up.

Is it just me, or have drop rates gotten better in the past few months? Because I recently did the Desolace quests where you have to get the silver key and golden key to open Karnitol's Chest (?). and also to get a satchel that drops only from Sea Witches and Tide Hunters. I'd done the quest line many times in the past, and remember grinding almost an entire level to do it. This time, all three items dropped within the first 3 kills of each type of mob. If Blizzard has upped the drop rate of quest items, then maybe the drop from the crab men in Dustswallow is doable now.

Changing subjects entirely: I don't know why more people don't play priests now, post-patch. Because everyone seems to agree on the forums that new shadow priests "melt faces." Now they're a great solo class as well as a group class.
 
I don't believe drop rates changed, only your luck does. Drop rates are notoriously tricky. A 10% drops chance does *not* mean you need to kill 10 mobs to find the item. You have a 10% chance of finding it on the first kill, and a 1% chance to not find it until the 42nd kill.

For example I'm reasonably certain that the drop rate for the Greater Frost Protection potion recipe is exactly the same as that for the Greater Nature Protection potion recipe. But the nature one I grinded for days and gave up, while the frost one I got on my fifth kill. It is all a matter of luck, and Lady Luck is a fickle lady who comes and goes.
 
I had hoped that WoW would have disarmed the "perfect group" problem that Everquest had.

To some degree, it has. We regularly do 5-man stuff with 2 rogues, a warrior, warlock and druid.

It's a shame that Shaman and Paladins are restricted to one side or another.

Creating a duplicate of Shaman on Alliance side and Paladin on Horde side would probably alleviate the lack of healer problem quite a bit.
 
"Luck be a lady tonight..."

Couldn't resist.

WoW didn't do away with the holy trinity, it just enabled a broader spectrum of available options to fill the roles. A Druid can heal as well as some Priests, better even, perhaps. You can try and have a Paladin MH a group (I just don't recommend it). You can try and fill the roles as best you can but that still doesn't change the fact that a Priest is the best class to fill that role.

I think you're right, Tobold. Priests (healers in general, really) get snatched up, both for groups and guilds. They're a valuable commodity that is still in rather scarce supply. The most common LFG messages I see in SW/IF still say "____ group LF (Healer/Tank)". The trinity is alive and well.

Drinkitt, crossing the currently-exclusive classes would be nice but it wouldn't alleviate the healing problem. Paladins are not MH and are never taken on to fill that role. (I don't know enough about Shaman to comment seeing as I'm an Alliance player.) That's one of the gripes from the Paladin community - Blizzard still has yet to offer any guidance as to the role of Paladins. They make not-so-subtle suggestions via itemization but that just causes more problems for the noncompliant (namely Ret & Prot Pallies). But the Pally topic is a whole other monster.
 
Finally got the recipe from the bar in BRD, in a group with only a shaman as healer. So that works. Not perfectly, but it works.
 
That's a good point Alan. Hybrids have always gotten screwed in the higher-end of games like this. I had better hopes for WoW.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool