Tobold's Blog
Saturday, July 15, 2006
 
Installing WoW again

I'm on holiday, with my laptop. And the place where I am staying has a computer on which I want to install World of Warcraft. I had a box with original WoW CDs with me, and installed it. But then of course I still need to patch the game to 1.11.2, and I didn't want to download the patch, because the connection is slow and has a limit on volume. So I cleverly had downloaded the 450 MB patch that turns any version of WoW into 1.11 at home, and burned it onto a CD. Unfortunately something went wrong with this plan. When I start the patch, after some time he finds some file with a bad checksum and aborts. Doh!

So now I'm trying plan B: I'm copying WoW from the laptop to the computer via wireless. Which is unfortunately horribly slow, and with the installed WoW being over 6 Gigabyte, this will take a while. I hope copying all the file works. Otherwise I will have to reinstall again and do the slow patch instead.
Comments:
Why bother? you're on holiday! enjoy yourself.
 
Ironclad has a point Tobold. Holidays are good for doing things we normally don't get to do in our every day lives. Perhaps Azeroth can fend for itself for a couple of weeks.
 
If being on a holiday isn't the right time to play a game, it's time to quit that game. Either it's become work or you don't really care about games.

I say go Tobold go.
 
Well, the holiday part is that I don't go raiding, and just play my low-level priest for fun. :)

Found out that copying WoW from one computer to another doesn't work, probably because of some registry entries. So I ended up having to download that 450 MB patch, before I finally got WoW running on that computer.
 
I'd heard from guildmates that copying would work. Hmmm.

Personally, I've become addicted to MC/BWL raiding. I get a bit antsy whenever I'm not slotted. I probably have a problem. ::grin::

Enjoy your vacation!
 
I'm debating what to do about re-installing WOW on a spare laptop that we keep around for family members who drop by, way too often, and want to play. All was well until the 1.11 patch which is too big to fit on the HD so it won't download and of course you can't play without having the most recent patch. *Sigh*

There's plenty of room for WOW on the lappie's D drive but I just don't want to be bothered re-installing and downloading this on the OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD and slooooooooooow lappie. For now, visitors just don't get to play. :-)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool