Tobold's Blog
Friday, September 29, 2006
 
Buying a new laptop

A year and a half ago, I bought my first laptop, a Dell Inspiron 6000. At the time I wasn't really sure whether I needed a laptop, and mainly bought it to be still able to access the internet when traveling. 18 months on I'm ready to declare that experiment to be a success: I *do* need a laptop. But with technology moving ever forward, and me knowing better now what exactly I'm using the machine for, I decided to buy a new one.

The Inspiron 6000 isn't a bad laptop, but it doesn't exactly qualify as ultra-portable. With its 15.4" wide screen the display is bigger than I really need, and thicker and heavier too. And at the time I skimped needlessly on the options, and took not enough RAM and a too small hard disk. I upgraded the RAM meanwhile, which made World of Warcraft at least playable on the machine, but the 40 GB hard disk is still far too small, WoW alone takes over 6 GB of that. The Radeon X300 graphics card and Intel Pentium M730 1.67 GHz are more than enough for surfing and watching DVDs, but playing games is a different matter. Even the not very demanding WoW only runs fluently when I lower the graphics settings.

So I was looking for a machine that was smaller, lighter, but more powerful. After reading some very enthusiastic reviews here and here I decided to buy the Dell XPS M1210. It has a Intel Core 2 Duo processor T7200 at 2.0 GHz. Doesn't sound much more than the 1.67 GHz I had, but of course the Core 2 Duo processor is a *lot* faster than the old single core Pentium Mobility. The times where you could see the speed of a CPU by its frequency are unfortunately over. As graphics card I took the Nvidia Geforce Go 7400 (256 MB), which according to this benchmark is about twice as fast as the Radeon X300 I had, with a 3DMark05 score given in the reviews of just over 2,000. Still much slower than the 6,500 I measured on my desktop computer with the Geforce 7800 GTX, but comparable to the 2,500 score I get with the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro on my wife's computer, which runs WoW perfectly. As I had noticed that WoW got a lot faster when upgrading the old laptop from 512 MB RAM to 1 GB, I ordered the new laptop with 2 GB RAM (667 MHz DDR2), so I'm pretty certain the new laptop will run World of Warcraft without any problems. I took a 160 GB hard drive, which should solve my storage space problems. And having learned from previous experience I ordered a second battery and a second charger with the laptop. The second battery is for doubling the time I can use the laptop when I'm in a plane or train. The second charger is because I use the laptop every day on my desk at home, for Teamspeak and surfing Thottbot next to the desktop running WoW, and hate to crawl under the desk every time I need the charger for traveling. The last thing I ordered with the laptop is a Kensington mini mouse with retractable cable. I already have one on the old laptop, and like it very much, much better than a touchpad for cursor control.

All this obviously isn't coming cheap, but sometimes you just have to spoil yourself. :) As here in Belgium on the Dell website only laptops with the strange French AZERTY keyboard were offered, I ordered the laptop by phone, where the sales guy was able to give me a QWERTY keyboard instead. After discussing that I didn't want to pay for a 3 year warranty and service, he ended up giving me the 3 year option for free. Always better to talk to a sales person, they usually have some leeway to give you free stuff if you place a big order. So now I'll just have to wait around 10 business days until the new laptop is delivered. Then I'll test it and post a review or something.
Comments:
I'm actually reviewing some XPS hardware for the site right now. I've had no problems with it all, other than some minor weirdness with EQII. WoW runs great, as does F.E.A.R., Battlefield 2, and any other game you could mention.

The one thing I did want to point out, though, is that these things are really really not meant to be used with a battery only. That 'Go' graphics card is a giant power leech, and even playing World of Warcraft I doubt you'd get much more than 30-45 minutes of power running solely on the battery. The framerate is going to drop hardcore too, because the thing is designed to be used plugged in.

Just wanted to add my 2 cents. :)
 
Fair dues for standing your ground and not paying an exorbitant price for the 3 year warranty. Extended warranties in general are a complete rip off and even more so for computers. In three years time the value of the laptop will be less than the amount they want to charge you today for the 3 year warranty.
 
The stock version only has a sucky onboard graphics card, a Intel GMA 900. 3DMark05 score of 200 instead of 2000, thus won't even run WoW.
 
Ack, mistake. You should have bought a Mac Book Pro. You can run Windows on it, but hey, waste of disk space. Dont discuss whats better here, if you blog, play wow and do other internet stuff the MAc rocks.

*ducks away*
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool