Tobold's Blog
Friday, November 17, 2006
 
Playing a mage in World of Warcraft

My Draenei mage in the BC beta is level 12 now, and I am beginning to like the class. I never played a mage above level 10. I once played a troll mage to level 10, but didn't really like the class at that time. But that was much earlier, when I did know a lot less about the game, and my main was a warrior. Since then I leveled 2 priests to 60, and soloing a priest is not totally unlike soloing a mage, at least at the very low levels.

The secret of playing a very low-level priest or mage is using a wand as early as possible, which is level 5. The level 5 wand that an enchanter can make is very powerful compared to a caster melee weapon, like a staff. And in the early levels you often don't have enough mana and spells to kill a mob without using a weapon. Of course that is more true for a priest than for a mage. But even a mage can get into situations where he runs out of mana, or he wants to conserve mana. A wand at these low levels has a damage output comparable to typical damage spells, doesn't use any mana, and can't be interrupted.

But the more spells I get with my mage, the less I use the wand, while my priests used their wands up to level 60. Mages have better crowd control, in the form of the polymorph spell, and the frost nova freezing the enemy to the ground. And they are missing the power word shield which makes using the wand as a priest such a good option.

I start the combat from maximum distance with a frost bolt. Fireball has a slightly higher range, if I use the fireball first, the mob runs towards me at full speed for some time, before I can get the frostbolt off. So I prefer frostbolt first, fireball next. By now the mob is close enough for the instant cast fire blast. When the mob reaches me, I have several options. If he is already nearly dead, I finish him off with the wand. If he still a good amount of life, now is the time to freeze him with a frost nova, and step back out of his melee range. Then I can kill him from a distance with a big fireball, or some other spell.

I tried arcane missiles, a channeled spell that shoots 3 arcane missiles over 3 seconds. But I would have thought that it would shoot one missile per second. But to me it seems that first nothing happens for 2 seconds, and then in 1 second I get all 3 missiles shortly one after another. I also don't see any channeling bar to tell me where I am with this spell, which makes it a bit confusing. Not sure if this is working as intended, or a beta bug, or just lag. The fireball rank 3 I got at level 12 seems to be both faster and more mana efficient. I put my first talent points into making the fireball even faster, I was under the impression that "fire mage" was a good option for soloing.

I also got Dampen Magic at level 12. Hmmm, I might be tempted to use that one against spellcasting enemies. In a group this spell isn't that good, because it also reduces the power of healing spells cast on me, but I don't think it affects healing potions.

The ability to make food and water is useful, but not really earth-shattering. Annoyingly you only get the spell to make a particular level of water 5 levels after you could buy and use that water, so at level 10 I got the spell to make level 5 water. In the pre-BC World of Warcraft mages at level 60 could do a quest to get a spell to make conjured crystal water, which is better than the best available vendor-sold water, morning glory dew. But the expansion introduces much better high-level water, far superior to the conjured crystal water. Maybe the time where mages are commonly being referred to as "water boys" are over? People were assuming the mage talent tree looks like this:


We will have to see how the level 70 water spell looks in comparison to the level 65 vendor-sold water.

I'm looking forward to getting my first real area of effect damage spell at level 14. Technically frost nova is AoE as well, but you can't spam it, it has a long cooldown. But with the arcane explosion I get at level 14, I can experiment with killing large numbers of lower level mobs with AoE. Sounds like fun.
Comments:
Well my mage is very awsome but i duno if my mage cant pvp that well can you give me some tips?
-RagingTanker095 Race-human lvl 60 MC gear (all collected) Im just not sure wat to use to pvp or duel Plz help me :(
 
Mages are difficult to solo at the first few levels. After level 25 or so it starts to get easy, so easy in fact that the mage is the easiest to level to 60 from the classes I have observed.
Their freezing ability, slowing down enemies and AOE power makes them ideal grinders and farmers.
Regarding your priest: you used the wand until 60? Then you never were shadow? Usually you skill shadow first all the way up and reskill at 56-57 or so. With shadow you kill 2 bugs easily with one mana bar.
Regarding PvP of the anonym asker: for PvP the mage should respec. Ice mages are supportive in PvP, but you need specific abilities to be very good in PvP. Fire mages rock the field. In case you missed it go to youtube.com and sarch for world of warcraft Blue Dress. An awesome video of a firemage owning the field.
 
I leveled my shadow priest to 60 while using a wand extensively. It's such a great weapon!

A wand plus Spirit Tap and my obsession with +Spirit items meant that I almost never ran out of mana. I could grind and quest on mobs (1 at a time of course, this is a priest after all!) for 30 min to an hour without worrying about mana. Usually 30min, because that's when I'd have to refresh the buffs.
 
Until you get talents like ice shards and shatter, in my opinion, you're better off starting with fireball. Then fireblast and frost nova. Run. Rinse repeat. Or you can fireball, then rank 1 frost bolt for the snare, then fireblast+frost nova. Fire's extra damage more than makes up for the lack of a snare, particularly at low levels.
 
I completly disagree with klatz. Fireball has a high risk of breaking the frost nova due to the debuff and in order to geht ice shards or shatter, you have to spec some points in the frost tree.

Arcane Explosion isn't that good for AOE if you are alone because it has a low dmg/mana ratio. Improved Blizzard on the other hand does a fine job if used properly. ATM my mage is lvl50 and is all-frost. Since he has Ice barrier he can handle a large amount of mobs (tested with ~10 mobs, up to two lvl higher) with Blizzard, Cone of cold, Frostnova and -as a finisher- Arcane Explosion. Just rememeber: Only AE melees, never try ranged or caster :)

Dampen Magic does a fine job against casters, turn it up if you expect some.
 
I very very nearly re-rolled to a mage about level 40, was doing the pirate quest on the coast down in Tanaris. The one with the two ships in the dock. There was a Mage there, perhaps a few levels higher, AOEing like it had gone out of fashion. It looked so much "fun" than what I was doing.

I still love my Wand as a L58 shadowpriest. Like Benjamin, I am a bit of a spirit junkie. I don't wand from 25-30% mob health like I used to, perhaps 10%, as mana regen is pretty high with even limited time outside the 5SR.

Now I tend to try to balance out health and mana over time. I can convert health>mana by not doing a VE and wanding a bit more. And mana>health by using VE and some more shadow magic. As long as one doesn't go down too much faster than the other, you can keep that up for a long time.
 
The good thing about playing a mage is that grinding is basically safe and free. Especially frost mages rarely, if ever, get hit by mobs, so you don't get repair bills. You can make your own food and water, so grinding doesn't incur any extra costs.

The bad thing is that you have to plan everything in advance. You have to constantly keep an eye of your mana and have a bit of extra mana available at all times. An OOMed mage is a dead mage. In addition, you have to find the right angles to pull mobs away from a group and you have to ensure that you have enough space to manouver. Otherwise you get stuck in close combat or get adds by running around like a headless chicken.

All of these points also apply to the mages' favourite pastime, AoEing. At low levels, the mage simply lacks the endurance (both health- and mana-wise) to take out large groups. While Arcane Explosion might seem mana-ineffective at first, many people don't realize that AoE scales by the amount of enemies. If you can keep your enemies properly controlled, you spend the same amount of mana killing 1, 5, 10 or 50 enemies.

When it comes to specs, your main tree would be either Fire or Ice (or a combination of the two). I haven't tried the beta, but currently Arcane is strictly a support tree and not really worth investing into heavily.

Fire has steady high damage and is thus preferable against casters and ranged attackers. Fire is weaker against melee, because you can't start controlling them until they are already at your throat. Of course, if you properly planned the fight, they should be at least half-dead by the time they do reach you.

Conversely, frost allows you unprecedented control against melee, expecially with Frostbite and/or Improved Blizzard. Coupled with Ice Shards, Shatter and Winter's Chill, frost can deal comparable damage to fire, but much more safely. The downside of frost is that your burst damage is very dependant on you being able to get your enemy frozen. The reliance of frost on big crits is a two-edged sword. Frost crits hard and often, but not always on demand.
 
That water talent tree is hilarious! =D
 
Get burning soul as soon as possible and fire will be a breeze in early levels. My fire mage is level 35 right now and I can honestly say I never mess around with frost nova or manuevering. With burning soul I can get off a fireball even with a mob hitting and with fire's long range and high damage they generally only have time for 1 or 2 hits before they die. The only beef I have with fire is mana consumption. Right now I can only kill 4 or 5 mobs before I need to drink. I shudder to think how bad it might be in the 50s.
Frost mage is all about control, but from my experience you really need shatter to make frost work at lower levels. Before shatter, the damage output is simply too low. With shatter you can take advantage of my favorite quasi exploit: frost nova a mob, back up about 15 yards and cast frostbolt. While the frost bolt is moving toward the target cast fireblast. Both spells will get the shatter bonus even if the first one to hit breaks the frostnova.
As a mage of either sort, melee mobs are your friends. They barely ever hit you and so the only constraint on grinding is mana. Caster mobs (or those damned troll axe throwers) can get a few hits in and mages have so little armor and so few hitpoints that even a couple of small hits can put you in danger.
 
It appears that one needs to play a mage for quite a while before they can truely speak about the usefulness of various spells in different situations. Many people argue that Arcane Explosion is not very effective, however it is entirely gear dependant. With +421 arcane spell damage from gear and 3700 health, I can easily grind 3-4 level 60 mobs as a level 62.
 
That talent tree is amazing. haha.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool