Tobold's Blog
Tuesday, November 14, 2006
 
Travel journal - 14-November-2006

Another business trip to the USA. This is always a long trip, but as my company is generous enough to book business class on transatlantic flights, it isn't so bad.

The terrorism scare seems to have abated to a reasonable level. No liquids allowed in the hand luggage, but I just checked my suitcase in. On the airport all the duty free shops had desperate posters out, advertising that there were special arrangements that could be done if you wanted to buy liquids and transport them on the plane. I wonder by how much their business in liquors has gone down.

On the American side everything went very smooth. In spite of my plane being slightly late, and me having only 1 hour for immigration, baggage claiming, baggage re-checking in, and getting through the security scan, I didn't miss my connecting flight. The people from the Transport Security Administration are doing a great job of getting large numbers of people through the system with a minimum of fuzz.

This is the 5th time in 12 month that I'm at the same location in the USA, same hotel, so at least I know how to get there, and where the shops and restaurants are in the vicinity. So of course I had steak for dinner, probably the best feature of the American cuisine. Then I went to the mall and bought a couple of TV series on DVD (Las Vegas season 3, and season 1 of The Closer, Numb3rs, and Boston Legal). I just have to find the time to go to the mall again in the next 2 days, between lots of work. The guy from EB told me that Medieval II would only come out today, and the guy in the DVD shop said that CSI season 6 would be out today. Damn, I was one day too early. Good that I'm staying until Thursday.
Comments:
Hey Tobold two new shows you should check out when they go to DVD next year.

Heroes which is a pretty good sci-fi drama series about people who develop special abilities. It mirrors X-men a lot but with a less zanny comic book feel.

Dexter which is a unusual crime show about a blood splatter analyist who works for the Miami police. The twist of the show is that he's a serial killer who targets other murderers.
 
Welcome back! Glad to have you here. Just for future reference, nearly all new media (DVDs, CDs, games, books, etc) comes out on Tuesdays in the USA. New movies (in the theaters) typically premiere on Friday.
 
I was travelling from Italy to the US. Another passenger had purchased about $400USD of alchohol. Security made him throw it away.

The passenger claimed that the duty free shop said it was okay to bring onboard.

It's like that old advertisement -- and they'll tell two friends, and they'll tell two friends, and so on, and so on, and so on.
 
Forgot to add this:

I saw the guy later on the plane getting *drunk*.

Course, he just threw away $400...
 
Hey Tobold,

Welcome back to the US. Enjoy your stay while your out here.

The show that Relmstein reccommends, Heroes, is really good. It's quickly becoming the number one show here, and many people are saying that it is becoming more popular than Lost. We'll see if the show keeps up the hype (hope). Oh and Las Vegas is back on the air here. And its still keeping the fun of previous seasons. There were somethings that I didn't like about season 3, and you will see them soon enough, but overall I still like the show. Call it my guilty pleasure :)

And Relmstein, I never heard of that show (Dexter). I'll have to check it out now.
 
So of course I had steak for dinner, probably the best feature of the American cuisine.

Obviously, you've got great taste. *grin*
Support the beef industry! (My folks raise beef cattle.)
 
Yeah, the good ol dept of homeland security made me pitch my bottle of tequila-after duty free said that by meeting me at the gate it was ok for transport into the US- so needless to say, I will never buy anything from the duty free again; unless of course the US changes it's no liquids policy by the time I croak. Not likely.....
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool