Tobold's Blog
Thursday, February 15, 2007
 
Selecting quests

I'm slowly approaching level 69, and I still haven't done all the quests in Terokkar Forest, and haven't even started yet with the quests in Nagrand, Blade's Edge, Shadowmoon Valley and Netherstorm. From that experience I can say that there are more than enough quests in the Burning Crusade. Even if you did nothing but quests and never had a rest xp bonus, doing all the quests would get you from 60 to 70. Add the rest bonus and the xp you gain from other activities, like going to instances, and there are basically too many quests. While I'm not dissatisfied with my systematic approach of trying to do them all, the better approach if you just want to level and have fun is to be more selective.

I am thinking about that, because I still would like to level up my warrior, currently level 61, once I reached level 70 with my priest. And for him, of course, I don't want to do all the quests again. I'd rather do a "best of" selection, doing enough quests to get me to 70, but selecting those which are the most fun, or where I can use the quest reward. Unfortunately doing that selection is hard.

In game I can only rely on my memory to remember which quests were boring or annoying, and abandon them. But my memory isn't good enough to remember all quest rewards, especially since with my priest I obviously would consider plate armor a "bad" quest reward, while the warrior might see it as good reward. And not all quest rewards are obvious in the game, sometimes you first have to do a series of low-paying prerequisite quests before being allowed to access the final quest in the series which gives a very good reward.

So I have to rely on places like Thottbot or Allakhazam to check quest series and rewards. And even there it isn't easy, because you'll have to click through all the quests in one zone to find those where the reward is good for your class and level. What I would need is a quest search engine where I could search for e.g. all quests giving plate armor rewards, or all quests giving items with a +str bonus. And I haven't found a good way to do that yet. Goblin Workshop has an equipment list, where you can list for example all plate gloves in order of quality, and see if there is one which is better than what you are wearing which happens to be a quest reward. But in that case you need to return to the other sites to trace back all the prerequisite quests.

The other alternative would be to just start playing. If I come across a quest that seems annoying, I could just check the web for what the final rewards of that quest are, and skip it if the rewards aren't to my liking. I guess most people don't do a systematic quest selection, but just do the quests they come across, and miss the quests that happen to be not on their path. I just wonder if there is a better way.
Comments:
Wowhead.com has become my new default WoW item/quest search. You can easily apply filters to pretty much all pages to only get the results you want.

Here is the basic plate quest rewards in TBC for alliance:

http://www.wowhead.com/?items=4.4&filter=cr=82,18;crs=1,2;crv=0,0#00Mz

You can easily add more criteria to find items with certain stats, or for a specific slot. Most of the quest chains are pretty complete so its not too hard to backtrack to the starting quest, and most of the comments are informative and not as filled with pointless spam as on thottbot.
 
Yeah, I'm using wowhead too. It's pretty good for casual info search. I have been pretty much able to gather all the chained quests. I used to use wowhead to list all quests with XP reward larger than 4500XP, and only do those quests for optimum leveling.

Another way is to search through the list of items, then click and see where this items can be found. Most of the time, it will lead you back to some quests, and you start backward from there. Wowhead links all chained quests together, so it's quite easy.

Btw, I love your blog!
 
Yup. Let me toss in a third reccomendation for wowhead. Ive completely removed thott and alla from my favorites list. Wowhead now has a prestiged spot on my firefox quickbar. Its the best warcraft info resource I have found and as far as I know it has not yet been bought by goldsellers.

Oh and of course... great blog.
 
Alla's has been disappointing lately, however they appear to be trying to catch up. What can I say; it's like that old girlfriend you keep coming back to...

I did a "best of" sort of situation with my lock. I tried to always get kill quests (there are a TON of messenger type quests), or collect quests, and always made sure to get the "ok, you're done here, visit my buddy in the next_level_up_zone" quests on him. This, plus the insane rest he had, allowed me to get him a level a day (for me, that's 3-4 hours) without even really trying hard, and almost completely avoiding instances.

Note: this "best of" thing gets much harder in Terokkar, since the vast majority of quests are series that start in one corner and expect you to run to the other corner to do it, then go to yet another corner to get the next quest. That said, with some planning and patience, you can get it so you're working on 3-4 quests simultaneously (my normal goal), and when moving you can get a few in the new area as well.
 
IMHO you should do every quest in a zone, except the ones that slow your progression or are just downright annoying. If you reach 70 and havn't even been to Netherstorm or Shadowmoon, you have some really fun quest zones for your time at 70, and can easily make 250G per hour doing the quests, and getting nice gear and rep.

5200G is a very daunting ammount to get to the epic flying mount, but with two full zones of quests, you could get about half of that ammount in a few weeks just from questing.
 
I've used wowhead quite a bit since TBC but still prefer thottbot and allakhazam. Each has it's own appeal, and since all three are imperfect, it's good to compare info across them. I also use wowwiki a lot these days and sometimes correct mistakes there.

About choosing quests, it depends a lot on your final goal. If it's to level fastest, then use a 1-70 walkthrough guide. Getting the "most interesting" quests is very subjective though. And getting a combination of "interesting" and "fast efficient leveling" is very hard indeed. For myself, I've been using quests for four purposes:
1) best pre-raid items
2) reputations
3) attunements
4) easy cash

So that involves a lot of looking up info on the different sites and writing short walkthrough guides for myself. I think my web-time is almost as high as my played-time!
 
Doing every quest in every zone, and thus earning tons of gold, is definitely the idea for my main. But that is not something I want to do twice, my warrior just needs to level up quickly to 70 and get some gear. At level 70, even with just a normal flying mount, he'd be much more useful for collecting herbs and making potions, and would be able to choose one type of alchemy mastery. And he could participate in guild groups where there is a tank missing.
 
My friend and I are levelling together, and we don't even look at any of the resource sites. When one of us is logged on and not the other, we scour the zone we're currently in trying to find any new quests that the other might not have, and then the next time we see each other we share everything we have and get to questing.

It's fun to go into an instance and have people asking "What does this boss drop?" and honestly have no clue. If we miss any quests, meh. Maybe we'll catch it later. I doubt we're missing any though, we're pretty thorough. It's nice to try and do all of them because there are some that I would never do again regardless of rewards. Last night I had the quest in Zangermarsh where I needed 6 hides from those hydras at the bottom of Serpent Lake. Heck, I only need 6 so I'll knock that quest out before I go to bed, right?

According to my tracker, I ended up with a 5% drop rate. So 120 hydras for this quest completion? Seriously? Quests like that boggle my mind.
 
wow.allakhazam.com has one NICE feature, real nice, if you get the premium account with them (couple bucks a month...) you can use their addon to upload your toon to their database (yes with free account also, but here is where the premium account kicks in. They let you compare your equipment to the item database based on whatever criteria you choose. It then ranks your item against everything with similar specs, you can limit by BOE or BOP or even quest rewards.

A great way to TARGET the loot you want!
 
I'm with you. In general I'm a solo player who likes to explore the beautiful world of Azeroth. I've been playing a little over a year and my main character is still only in the mid-50s. And I've got more than twenty other characters, several of them high 20s and 30s, so I don't focus on taking one or two toons to the max.

I've taken one of each horde and alliance race into the 20s just to get a sense of the starting area quests and the play of the classes. The only class I've never stuck with is warrior ... I have a bunch of level 2 or 3 warriors lying around here and there, but I never seem to get motivated to play them.

Even in the pre-BC space, there are too many quests. If you quest through Stonetalon Mountains and Thousand Needles, for instance, you'll level up to the point where nothing in Hillsbrad Foothills is worth doing. My troll shaman did most of his mid-teens through mid-20s development in Stonetalon and Thousand Needles, while my tauren druid worked his way through Hillsbrad.

NYGeek
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool