Tobold's Blog
Tuesday, May 22, 2007
 
Innovation in compensation

Lord of the Rings Online had a couple of issues with their login servers after release. Not totally unexpected, but annoying nevertheless. So following industry standards Codemasters is giving out a couple of free days as compensation. But unlike other companies, Codemasters has a problem there: How do you give compensation to somebody with a lifetime subscription? Lifetime + 4 days doesn't make sense. So they came up with the following announcement:
To make up for your frustrations and time lost during the downtimes, we would like to give you some tokens of our gratitude.

For every player that had a current subscription as of 20th May, 2007 we will be giving the in-game bonus item
Name: "The Glass of Aglaral"
What it is: Bag item
Type of object: Bound
Enhancements modifier: 1+ Hope

For Lifetime subscription customers we will be giving the in-game item:
Name: "The Fallen Star of Gil-Galad"
What it is: Pocket item
Type of object: Bound
Enhancements modifier: +1.5 Power Regeneration in non-combat

For non-Lifetime subscription customers we will be giving:
4 days free game time, which will be added to all accounts that had a current subscription as of 20th May, 2007.

The extra game time will be added within the next week, whilst the items will be added with the Shores of Evendim update, (Turbine need to build these into the next update).
Nice idea, I had already thought that I'd forever lose out on all compensation in situation like these. The items aren't great, but it is the thought that counts. :)
Comments:
IIRC Turbine did that as far back as Asherons Call - I think we all got a random "plush toy" in our back packs.
 
I would prefer free pipeweed...(or any consumable, not an item which wastes my bag space)
 
Free pipeweed is actually an awesome idea, make it level based, so the higher you are the higher tier i.e. rare the weed. Or even just random.
 
The first item of the two seems to be the best imo. As far as I know there isn't anything that increases hope (at least at L37 I haven't seen one yet). Power regen in combat however I've seen, at least as a trait.

In any case, I don't 100% understand who will get what. Do lifetimers get both items? The ones with non-lifetime subscriptions get both item 1 and 4 days? The ones that are just on their free month only gets 4 days? Or does everyone just receive one of the 3 compensations? I haven't checked the thread with the official announcement yet since my internet connection at home isn't working, but there are a few questions from just reading the announcement. :)
 
The plush toys were awesome, awesomly awesome.
 
Nice idea, thank you Turbine. If it happens again though will they just have to keep giving out ever more powerful items? Perhaps it might be better to give out novelty items., like pipeweed as has been suggested. Guild Wars often gives out novelty pets that have no game function but are nevertheles highly sought after as ornaments.
 
I already have both of those items from previous offers. I would think they would offer something that isn't already out there on many players.
 
Isn't The Glass Of Aglaral what people got with the collector's edition of the game? If so, way to make those people feel stupid by spending the extra bucks since the rest of the stull in the collector's box pretty much sucked.
 
The Glass of Aglaral was added with the US collector's edition not the EU one and these bonus items are added for EU (codemaster) accounts..
 
One question:
The people (like me) who bought it later than 20th March wont get nothing? Thats what i understood and its a let down, Ive suffered server downs but I dont get compensated =(.
 
"Not totally unexpected" - what, you mean unexpected in that even though it happened in AC2 & DDO, it was still unexpected?

P.S. I suppose I should say that I hope LOTR works with flying colours, but sadly I have been disappointed too many times to give Turbine/Codemasters another try.
 
Speaking of updates...

I would have thought that the WoW 2.1 patch was MMO-blog-worthy news.

Even though my server was the last one up, my first impression was that I *really* like the new buff/debuff cooldown timers on the target.

And not a single gold spam since the 2.1 patch went live :) (knock on wood...)

Doeg
 
Doeg,

My impression is that WoW economy has changed slightly. Most of the people who were farming are now avidly questing again so are pretty sure they will pick up their mats from that. I've already managed through skinning to get around 5 stacks of knothide.

I would say wait for a month or so for people to go back to needing mats again before saying spam filters are a success.

Besides, its in the best interest for gold spammers to let the WoW Community think they have some protection :)p
 
So now my "Special Edition" in game item is even less special and one of the "exclusive" PC gamer item is non-exclusive.
Meh, they were worthless anyway. Now they are just MORE worthless. At least the free cloak was pretty.

What I don't understand is why they don't give everyone an option for a lifetime subscription. I think I would pay for it. Then Turbine would have a year and a half's worth of subscription money from me and I'd HAVE to buy the expansions.
As it is, I'll probably take breaks from the game to play other games, and I may or may not come back to LOTRO.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool