Tobold's Blog
Monday, May 14, 2007
 
LotRO Journal - 14-May-2007

While my minstrel in Lord of the Rings Online still is level 19, my guardian got up to level 16 this weekend. Now I seriously have to consider whether I should go back to the minstrel, or just keep playing the guardian. Both are fun, but they play very much different. And I'm in no hurry to reach the level cap. Maybe I just play both of them.

My guardian was defeated for the first time at level 13, having joined a group to kill the warg of Budgeford. Too bad, no more new titles for being undefeated. Although the level 10 title of "the Undefeated" is the best-sounding one anyway. At level 14 I would have gotten "the Indomitable" title, and I have the sneaking suspicion that few people would have known what that even meant. Anyway, not having to try to not getting defeated is kind of a relief, it gives me more freedom to try riskier things without worrying about some title.

At level 15 I finally was able to wear the fancy "critical success" hardened bronze armor that I crafted myself. *Huge* difference when going from a level 10 crafted medium armor to the level 15 critical success heavy armor, although its hard to say how much of that is the better armor class, and how much is improved stats. The only problem was that the armor didn't look good, being all beige. But that problem was easily remedied by applying olive dye to all parts of it. Only the chest is still mainly beige, apparently the dye is only applied to the seams, while the main part with the "chain armor" look isn't changing color. Still looks a lot better now, as the pants and arms are now green and the ensemble looks less bland.

The level 15 guardian class quest in my opinion is bugged. You need to defend a farmer from bandits, which come in groups of two, with a single signature bandit at the end. You would be able to solo that, if the first two groups of two didn't come within just seconds from each other. No way can you defend the farmer against 4 bandits at the same time at level 15 solo, although after that everything else would be soloable. Well, I died, came back, found another level 15 guardian with the same problem, and we finished the quest together. The helmet I got had the same armor class as the crafted one I was wearing, but looked a lot fancier, and had stats that were more suited for a guardian.

Besides the guardian I was mostly playing alts. I made a new man captain, and leveled him up to 9. I still plan to take him to level 10 or a bit higher, to see how that class plays when he gets a pet. Because frankly, up to level 9, with no pet, the captain is the weakest class I ever played in this game. He is constantly running out of power (what other games call mana), and then he can't do anything any more. In LotRO all characters use power for all special attacks, but although my other characters hit all their hotkeys as fast as they can, they never run out of power except when fighting more than 2 mobs at once. The captain even gets low when he just fights mobs one by one, and was the only character where I really needed to pause between fights to get him back up to full. Which is especially annoying for this class, as he has lots of abilities that only work after he has defeated a foe, so you'd need to start the next fight right away to make the most out of them. I really want to see whether the class gets better after receiving a herald pet at level 10, because right now I foresee a constant stream of "captain sucks" posts on the LotRO forums.

I made the captain a scholar, inadvertently adding the worst tradeskill in the game to the character with the worst class in the game. With all the money and power of my alts I just can't get the scholar to even be proficient at the apprentice level. Every recipe he has needs rare components, especially aged scraps of text, and those are simply too hard to get. Scholar nodes are much, much rarer than wood or ore nodes; they only appear around a few ruins, are surrounded by mobs, they respawn slowly, and there is no tracking skill to find them. You can get scholar materials from mobs, like goblins, but you need to kill around 15 goblins for one aged scrap of text, and then you need 3 scraps to make one scholar scroll or potion. The scraps go for really crazy prices on the auction house, and are one of the most bid on items there. Scholar is definitely the craft that is hardest and slowest to advance.

I then made another alt, just to cover all the tradeskills, an elf hunter with the jeweler profession. Now that one was very easy to skill up, just by using the amethysts and agates that my guardian had found when mining. As the captain besides scholar is also a weaponsmith, and I do have a forester / woodworker dwarf champion alt, I now have all the bases covered. That is insofar interesting as it allows you to level up your low-level alts very quickly. LotRO has crafting quests, where you need to hand in crafted items to get some crafting materials plus xp as reward. And the xp are quite good, for example there are two quests in Bree and near the Forsaken Inn that each give 753 xp for handing in just one amethyst ring. And sometimes the crafting materials are interesting too, like getting those aged scraps of text from a weaponsmith quest in Combe, or sweet Lobelia seeds in Bree for a cooking quest.

Besides the crafting quests, and the obvious advantage of having easy access to starting equipment for all possible alts, I mainly did all those alts to explore all the different tradeskills. In generally I like the tradeskills of LotRO, but sometimes I do have the impression that they aren't as complete or well-balanced as they could be. Which isn't really surprising, because you could say the same about WoW or any other game that has crafting, with the possible exception of UO. Tradeskill systems seem to be something that is designed as an afterthought by the B-team of developers in all MMOs, which is a pity. A good player economy can add so much life to a MMORPG, and you can't have that if your crafting system isn't top notch. Players usually manage to get the economy running somehow, because enough players just like crafting, but that is in spite of all the flaws, not because the crafting system is so well done.
Comments:
I'm still happy enough with my Captain, even though digging around forum posts did reveal they're not particularly highly thought of, and power is definitely a problem in protracted fights. The herald doesn't make a *huge* difference, though it does make mining easier (send herald to attack nearby creature, mine node, assist herald or just run off if you can't be bothered...)

Apart from anything else, I figure by playing a "gimped" class, you're safer from "nerfs" (in much the same way that a pessimist is never disappointed), so we'll see what happens when the inevitable balancing begins...
 
Same approach here, three alts who get their raw mats / recipes sent by each other. Unfortunately my lvl 17 lore-master who did not die succumbed to a wave-spawn of goblins in his class quest. Damn, this made me sad.. I took so much care to get him there and then that. But, similar to you, now I can dare to join PUGs to the instances around Bree.
 
Hit the delete key and you will target any nearby resource nodes, which also includes the scholar nodes, and plants like woad and yarrow root. You can also type /follow and you'll run right to the node you're targeting.

I eventually just used the AH and made dye to level my scholar, it was easy and you don't waste precious scholar mats. They sell well, but I trade them for female toons to /kiss, /flirt, and /scold my hobbit instead of money, so he can get the silly titles :)
 
Haha ... nice, Yunk!

My guardian is an armorer. Armorer seems like a fairly balanced tradeskill to me. He is able to stay ahead of his level crafting-wise without too much hassle. This weekend though, I helped a friend of mine grind goblins to get his scholar skills up. Ee gad! We had to cycle around some elven ruins picking up pottery and killing goblins for texts. Having gone though all that, I can't really see myself rolling a scholar. And after the farming nerf, I've just been growing enough pipeweed to keep my hobbit with some on hand for RP. Looks like some trade skills could use some tweaking.

Though the emotes for dyes thing may get me to reconsider. :)
 
Is it possible the Captain is not meant to be a soloing class? The WoW Hunter is not that good until he gets a Pet at lvl 10, unless you know how to Strafe-Kite. And if you plan to do a lot of Soloing you better Buff your Pet up the wahoo and Spec BM almost all the way. But it sounds like the Captain doesn't even get better at lvl 10.

Speaking from a Minstrel's point of view I never had much trouble soloing, and I don't think I ever had to stop and wait for my Power/Mana to regen even though I frequently spam Ballads while fighting.

So either the Captain is broken and Turbine may buff him in the future, or he was designed as a support/group class and never meant to solo any but the easiest of quests. At least with the lack of real PvP if the Captain finally gets his day and gets overhauled and buffed you (hopefully) should never hear "ZOMG! Captins are overpwrd! Nerf! Nerf!"
 
I have power management issues with Captain more than any other class. It is funny that the class that needs to move quickly from one kill to another because of short term buff after killing one also has the most power consumption issues so has to rest the longest between fights.

One would think the Captain is best as a group support class because is a healing and buffing class. The problem is always better classes for any role needed in a group. The Minstrel is a better healer and buffer. After level 25 I would say a Loremaster is better group support than a Captain and a Burglar can be very important for long fights where need the conjunctions. Captain has heavy armor after level 20 but of course a Guardian is a better tank and a Champion might be a better off tank. Captain is 3rd or 4th in DPS. Like most all games pets can be problematic in group situations. Computer AI tends to mess up and cause big problems every so often.

I think Captains are a good soloing character. They are a “jack of all trades” characters so can adapt to solo many different situations. Other classes will be better at soloing particular situations but a Captain can solo most situations just with more difficulty then the best class for the situation. Other classes might not be able to do a particular situation because they can’t heal or don’t have the armor or can’t take a group or don’t have a pet to distract the MOBs or don’t have a run buff or don’t have an area of effect attack or etc.
 
I find the captain to be very much like the druid in WoW. Decent in all respects (dps, tank, heal) but not great at any of them. I believe that is why I gravitated towards him first (played a druid in WoW). I know play a burglar named Pokepoke and find him much more needed in instance groups.
 
Started a Captain as my first toon, and i will grind him as my only toon until at least 35. after only 21 levels ( no deaths ) i have found simply this... Captains are as good as the player playing them.

they do have big power problems, and according to the devs it will be addressed. right now i have geared myself out in equipment focused on making up for my weaknesses.

- get + regen in and out of combat items - i have 5 items and one weapon which do so.

- work traits, i grinded out traits essential to my class such as teh bonuses to my shouts, buffs, and heals.

- upgrade the heralds gear. get the most out fo that little dude as you can.

- Be A Captain. Show groups why you are needed, captains are very dependant on the situation, command the battle. pull a low level mob to what you need to fight, engage the fight, kick off your Hot, mark your targets, aoe, command your allies...

I am fully aware that their are problems with my class yet. but making situational decisions on the fly makes me love the class, it is the most versatile of them all.

i have potions mailed to me to recoup health/power and make my own armor.

i upgrade and maintain all the things that make me a desired leader ( increased buffs, heals, pet damage, and ally assistance )

i spare no expense on my weapon, a captain should have a hefty hand in battle, and coming in with a giant blade of halberd will do that ( Braveheart much? )

it sounds dumb, but i think to really play a captain well, you have to perform as one. any mindset can play a champion, hack, slash, kill, repeat. Captains are the jack of all trades because i Captain has to know everything going on, how to do everyones job to some extent, and be able to rally their troops.

So raise that banner of war, bring your herald up in arms, sharpen the edge of that 6 foot blade, point at that nearest cave troll, and shout your cry of battle and unleash the dogs of war.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool