Tobold's Blog
Friday, May 18, 2007
 
LotRO Journal - 18-May-2007

The more I play my hobbit guardian, the more fun he is. The main reason for that is that combat is more interactive for him, as many of his abilities can only be used after he blocks or parries. So you can't just press the same sequence of hotkeys in every fight, you need to watch what you can use at any given moment. Now level 17, my guardian even has a small self-heal useable after he blocks. I did most of the deeds of the Shire, and a good number of Ered Luin deeds with the guardian, and now I've started doing deeds in Bree. In spite of the map I still managed to die several times in the Old Forest, I'm starting to hate that place, especially the elite trees and their damn roots. Well, I got my deeds there, and except for the epic quest line I don't intend to do the other Old Forest quests with this character.

My minstrel is on hold, he might end up turning from my main into an alt. I mostly use him to buy crafting stuff for the alts, but that turned out to be a bad idea. I fell for a stupid scam where somebody was selling a series of trade goods for 5 silver bid, 10 silver buyout, relatively cheap. Only one of them was not 10 silver buyout but 1 gold 10 silver, which is badly visible. So now I lost 1 gold to a scammer. As the AH mail with the item doesn't even show how much you paid and who the seller was, I can't even report the guy. I'll look a lot closer in the future.

Besides the two hobbits I have one human, one elf, and one dwarf alt, mainly for tradeskills. As you can only have 5 characters per server, at least I have all races and most crafts covered. Right now most of the alts are parked at Duillond, the elf main town, because I found an interesting way to get the otherwise hard to get scholar materials: work orders.

You can buy work orders at different places for different kinds of materials, like skins, ores, or scholar materials. They come in three levels, for 10, 20, or 40 silver. If you buy a 10 silver work order for common scholar materials, you need to wait 6 hours for delivery, and then you get a random selection of apprentice and journeyman materials. As these are otherwise hard to get, and very expensive on the auction house, what you get is usually worth more than the 10 silver you paid. I tried one 40 silver work order for hides, but then I had to wait 40 hours to get it, and received some sturdy and pristine hides, the latter of which are actually too high for me yet. I don't think work orders are profitable for all crafting materials, but as scholar materials are more rare than others, I'll try this for a while.
Comments:
Which of your characters is better at soloing Tobold? I have heard others say that Hunters and Champions are the masters of soloing but I am not so sure. I remember watching a level 18 minstrel solo lvl 13 elite trees in the old forest and my Champion Throg tried to do the same at level 18 and failed.

Thank you for the tip about work orders. I'm always up for a bit of a gamble so I must send Throg off to try them.
 
I have been playing WoW for about 5 months now, I tried everything realm and char wise and decided to play a lock on Twilights Hammer EU, because of the big South African comunity.

I am currently level 46 and it is enjoyable. The only worries is I am working and tries to play as much possible, but it is still casual hours. A lot of the end game content (if I ever get there) like 25 man raiding I will never be able to do. Another thing is most of the people on the server are 70 already and I struggle finding groups (soloing isnt supppose to be what you are doing everyday in an MMO)

I am thinking of switching to Lotro because I am a Tolkein fan and it sounds like you can take it more at your own pace without the pressure of grinding to experience end game content, which is the case in WoW.

What would you recomend, stick it out with WoW for a while (probably still a while till I can catch up) or make a fresh start in Lotro (hope its as good as WoW)

Thanks for the great blog, read it everyday at work ;)
 
dave, based on your description LOTRO is the way to go. And maybe play WoW solo for a change of pace every so often.

Also, the scam is bad but that isn't going to be a reportable offense anyway. Maybe he was testing the market at different prices? Of course he wasn't, but how do you prove he wasn't. Would you have still bought if if a 2nd different seller had put it up for 1 gold 10 silver? Was he scamming? AH stuff like this is buyer beware. Though Turbine could probably take steps to make it harder to pull off.
 
Having work orders for other professions makes sense, but for scholars? I'm guessing there's lots of fraudulent "ancient" texts being produced... But hey, if it works, it works.
 
Hm... I'd never heard of work orders before. As a scholar, it's frustrating that my skill is lagging behind, so I see all these Apprentice and Journeyman stuff that I can't pick up. I'll have to find where to get these work orders!
 
I don't know why games write the money amounts in auction houses 0gold, 30silver, 20copper, etc, we certainly don't write that way, and no one presents data to humans that way "0MB, 32KB" etc, but AH interfaces are so poorly designed.

The Lotro interface, like so much of it, is even worse. They (and WoW and others) should not print the gold if there is no gold, so the differences between prices are clear, and add some whitespace (or blackspace in this case :) ) and try to make it a little more readable, the font is just terrible as well.

oh, i didn't know there were work orders for other tradeskills, i've used the scholar one. It is a big help especially in passing the first scholar quest.
 

I fell for a stupid scam where somebody was selling a series of trade goods for 5 silver bid, 10 silver buyout, relatively cheap. Only one of them was not 10 silver buyout but 1 gold 10 silver, which is badly visible. So now I lost 1 gold to a scammer. As the AH mail with the item doesn't even show how much you paid and who the seller was, I can't even report the guy. I'll look a lot closer in the future.


The LOTRO interface is too damn tiny and Turbine needs to address this problem pronto.
 
I was re-reading Fellowship of the Ring and in the prologue it mentions that Tobold Hornblower of Longbottom in the Southfarthing grew the first true pipe-weed in the days of Isengrim the Second, about the year 1070 of Shire-reckoning.

It made me smile.
 
Yeah, that's where I stole the name of my very first hobbit thief in Dungeon & Dragons from, a quarter of a century ago. And I'm still stuck with that name. :)
 
I found a scholar work-order taker in Duillond? in the elf/dwarf land (Erud luin?).

I haven't pick it up yet but I hope it works. Scholar are hard to level due to the lack of harvests these work orders could save my sanity!!

BTW Lotro is very similar to WOW,
with better and worst elements.
I find Lotro more enjoyable, game-wise and especially graphics.

Dedeye, Bane of the Barrows
Brandywine

Ramble On!
 
I would suggest that you stick with WoW.

While LOTRO is a great game in both looks and storyline, it's primitive in its use of the interface and also in the fact that Addons, the things that make life easier in WoW are banned.

This means there is no way to mark places you've been to before either on the world map or on the screen and no coords are available for making meeting up easier.

The other thing that I found particularly annoying was resurrecting at a set place ad having to figure out how to get back to where you were. You are unable to run back to your body and resurrect there, what a shame.

I've only managed to get to lev 40 at this stage but I don't think it will get me for as long as WoW had me.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool