Tobold's Blog
Saturday, May 05, 2007
 
LotRO reviews coming in

Lord of the Rings Online is being reviewed everywhere, and gets good to excellent grades in those reviews. The New York Times is very enthusiastic. The International Herald Tribune gives it three stars out of four. And I'm left wondering how that happened, that serious newspapers like this got into the business of reviewing MMORPGs. On the current trend I'll be unemployed soon, losing all my readers to the New York Times. :)

Of course all the more traditional sources of reviews cover Lord of the Rings Online as well. GameSpy gives it 4.5 stars out of 5, and the editor's choice award. Other sites like Gamespot haven't got full reviews out yet, but already high scores in the readers' reviews section. I think it is safe to say that Turbine has a winner on their hands here.
Comments:
How can you review a game without knowing what the ending is like?

Yes, I know that mmorpgs don't have traditional endings (though, i wish they did), but they do have end games, and no one knows just exactly how LOTRO's end game is going to - well end.

Rememeber, these same game sites gave TBC excellent reviews, and ignored the fact that TBC was essentially a huge faction/raid grind, which had burn out written all over it.
 
I remember first realising that World of Warcraft was going to be really big when I started reading about Counterstrike clans who couldn't field a team any more because too many members had left to play WOW.

Any news from Azeroth? Are gaps appearing in raiding guilds as people depart for Middle Earth?
 
I just returned my lotro box to Amazon. It might have been related to my WoW burn out, but overall I wasn't impressed with the game.

Here's hoping Warhammer or Age of Conan can live up to their hype...
 
Lose readers to the NYT? Impossible. You tend to be balanced, reasonable and don't make things up from whole cloth.
 
I have so far seen no complaints that guilds are losing people to LoTRO.

I am currently playing with a group of MMO vets and perpetual beta hags, and none of them have yet left WoW for LoTRO. Several of them won't play WOW on principal, but that's a different story.
 
reviewers don't have the time to review games properly. either they copy it from other sources or play the game quickly.

that's the one thing i like about mmorpg.com that they do re-reviews after a certain time.
 
Not to sound like a bad McDonalds commercial but.... I'm lovin' it.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool