Tobold's Blog
Monday, May 07, 2007
 
Potshot on LotRO graphics

Potshot has a very interesting article with screenshots of LotRO, comparing the same view in three different graphics settings, from ultra-high quality to lowest quality. As you can see the difference is pretty big. On the highest setting the graphics are really very pretty, but on the lowest they aren't all that great. So if you see somebody writing about how ugly the LotRO graphics are, he was probably playing on an older computer at lower settings. Check for yourself the screenshots how LotRO *could* look on a new computer. And on my computer at these ultra-high settings, the game is still running very fluent.
Comments:
Wow, yeah, I had no idea what I was missing really since most of the settings are set at medium/low for me. Definitely makes me want to make every effort to upgrade my machine now.
 
Even at very low settings (my PC's a fossil) I rather like the graphics of the game. I have water reflections up pretty high, just because I love them, but everything else doesn't look all that bad.

Also, running in windowed mode seems to make things go more smoothly.
 
Try turning of Post Processing. I had PP on and everything set a medium, i was getting about 10 fps, now I've disabled PP, have everything on ultra-high and get 20-35fps.
 
The landscapes and buildings are very well done.

I don't know if it's just my old eyes, or that cartoon graphics are more forgiving, but I'm still getting an uncanny valley effect when the toons are in the shot. I especially noticed it in the shot with the four toons on the road. It seems to my perception that the uncanny valley effect actually recedes on *lower* settings.
 
I unchecked Vertical Sync (when playing WoW) and my FPS rate went through the roof, from 40+ FPS into the 100s. Even in highly populated areas I get 80+ rates.

My GeForce 7300GT is a high end card from yesteryear, but can be picked up for under US$100 now.
 
Am I the only here who thinks that the graphics are not that nice on all 3 settings? While the highest has more details, the vistas are far far away from "jaw-dropping". Is the screenshots not doing the game justice? Coz looking at the screenshots posted here up till now, the game does not look that pretty.

- Trevor
 
Capn John,

MMO's (Successful ones) have never been about graphics, and since there has never been a set line to aim for, this game is really setting the look of Middle Earth.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool