Tobold's Blog
Sunday, August 19, 2007
 
Blogging on a TV

Now this is an interesting experiment. I'm still on a short city trip holiday, and didn't take my laptop. But my hotel room is equipped with a TV and a keyboard, and for just 5 Euro a day I can have internet access via the TV. The TV has some non-standard browser, but no Windows. I'd guess I won't be able to visit any sites requiring plug-ins. But for writing a text in Blogger this should be enough, and so I'm blogging. Anyone ever noticed what a horrible low resolution a TV screen has?
Comments:
Yes. I subscribed to an Aussie Rules package one year, delivered to my home via the internet. Watching it on my computer screen I could explode the media player window to Full Screen and the picture would be blocky but watchable. Doing the same when redirecting the feed to my TV was not watchable at all.
 
I have a PC hooked to my TV, so I know what you mean. It's great for video podcasts or DVDs or any standard media use (probably even video games, but I haven't even tried that yet), but I almost always use VLC when I want to do anything serious with the GUI. The fuzzy round pixels are a real killer, and I'm convinced that 90% of the HDTV market would be just as happy with a standard definition TV that had a sharp, crisp LCD screen.
 
Er, I meant VNC up there! I do use VLC for playing back some kinds of video, but I use VNC to connect to the box from another one with a reasonable monitor attached.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool