Tobold's Blog
Thursday, October 25, 2007
 
Bildo on Mythos

I'm not the world biggest fan of action RPGs, but I play them. It isn't the gameplay which I dislike, but the sad fact that there are so many bad Diablo clones among them. But when I hear somebody whose opinion I respect talk very highly of an action RPG, I start to get interested: Bildo is a big fan of Mythos. Unfortunately I only saw it after he had handed out all the beta keys he had available, but his enthusiasm got me interested enough to sign up myself for the beta on the Mythos website.

Mythos apparently started life as a test platform for Hellgate London, but then Flagship Studios decided they will bring it out as a separate game. There is no release date yet, but it was announced that the game will be free to download and play, financed by microtransactions for in-game items. Which is another positive point, because even if I don't get invited to the beta, I'll still be able to test it for free. This is certainly a game I wouldn't buy before testing, because if it shares the Hellgate graphics engine, it might also cause me video game motion sickness, which is always a big disqualifier. I would have played more of the action RPGs of 2007, a year rich in them, if it hadn't been for the fact that most of them caused me nausea and headaches. I so hope that mouselook controls get out of fashion soon!
Comments:
A press release I saw somewhere said it was an isometric perspective game.
 
Correct, the view is exactly like Diablo, so no motion sickness for you Tobold.

Hopefully you get in soon, its a decent enough game, and still growing. Bug free and very stable from what I've seen so far, so certainly worth trying.
 
It's also going to be entirely free to download and play, with things like pets, outfits, etc. coming at real money cost. Sort of an item shop without overpowering players. Also, apparently, anything you can get from the item shop you can get from in-game, it'll just take longer.

There will be 2 currencies, your average copper, gold, etc, and the bought points. Save up enough copper, silver, gold, and you can convert it to the store points to spend on special in-game pets, items, etc.

In all, it sounds like a very cool system, but one wonders how many will use it. Pricing and greater details have yet to be announced.

It really is a fun game, provided you like Diablo-Clones/Roguelikes. If clicking all over the place is not your cup of tea, than it's likely not going to work for you. But this little gem is pretty damn deep for what it is, and by far more interesting than recent genre fair. Also, like all in the genre, it's great for short play periods.

If I get more keys, Tobold, I'll be sure to let you know.
 
I played it for a few hours, and in my opinion it feels exactly like Diablo II with slightly updated graphics.

I also don't particularly care for the UI at present-- it looks really rough to me. Hopefully they make it a bit prettier for release.

Check it out, but don't expect to be blown away if you don't yearn for the days of D2.
 
Or do expect to be blown away...for such a simple game, I had way more fun in this game than Hellgate...even though HG:L is good, I just had a blast doing some quick quests here and there and the Diablo gameplay with WoW styled graphics was quite fun...
And for Free...I feel I am getting a better experience from this game than others I have payed for (*cough* LOTRO *cough*)
Cheers!
 
Please don't put a curse on mouse look Tobold. It is still the best control system bar none for first person 3D games. Sadly I don't have any solution to your motion sickness though.
 
Sending you a beta invite ( only one I have, no more)
 
If you download and play Fable, that is the precursor to Mythos. It should give you a taste of how Mythos will play. Its a really fun little Diablo clone.

I'm really looking forward to Mythos.
 
Thank you for the beta invite. I'm in! Currently downloading. Expect to hear more about the game next week, after I've done some beta testing.
 
I've been in Mythos beta for a while, and it's a lot of fun. It really is Diablo II part II. The game is very stable for beta, with an easy going demeanor focused on having fun rather than being obscenely difficult.

It's a great game, and the price can't be beat!
 
I looked into this a little before but the official site has nearly nothing for those not in the beta. I'm surprised they don't have NDA (from Bildo's post) but aren't allowing any forum access (even read only) or anything to the public. The UI in the screenshots made me quickly judge it as something I probably wouldn't play beyond some kind of single player campaign.

The screenshots are probably very old at this point though.

Is the potion spam of Diablo games and clones there? Is there any kind of PvP?

Without PvP I can't see myself spending a lot of time online, and if I play quick sessions like people have mentioned, I can't see myself buying their non-combat pets, clothes and stuff.
 
@pekkar -- I did a bit on Mythos in my blog, and it includes some video so you can see how it looks while playing. It should give you a thumbnail idea for its look and feel.

http://westkarana.com/index.php/2007/10/25/mythos-beta/
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool