Tobold's Blog
Friday, November 16, 2007
 
WoW Journal - 16-November-2007

My apologies, but this is going to be another post on running through dungeons with a high-level chaperone. My blood elf mage was following a line of quests that sent him from Silvermoon to Undercity. In Undercity he picked up a quest to find the Book of Ur in Shadowfang Keep. He also got a mage quest to kill Dalaran mages around Shadowfang Keep. Plus a quest to visit Sepulcher, where he picked up more Shadowfang Keep quests. SFK has always been one of my favorite dungeons, and it has lots of cloth drops for mages. Add the promise of patch 2.3 to make these dungeon drops better, and SFK started to look very alluring.

So while looking around in Silverpine Forest for the mages, I noticed a group of people approaching SFK. I asked them whether they would tackle that dungeon and whether I could join, and they agreed. But of course that group had a level 70 player with them, a warrior, and there were no groups around without high-level player. I would have preferred a group of only players of my level, but then I'd rather go with a high-level than not at all, because at least I get my quests done.

My biggest achievement on that trip was "not dying". I barely got any damage in, because in the time it takes me to /assist the level 70 and cast a spell, his target is already dead. Obviously targeting other mobs is not a good idea either, it just sabotages his aggro management. The only useful thing I ended up doing for the group was removing curses, as SFK has several mobs that can curse you with various stuff.

In spite of this lack of contribution, the rewards were huge. Besides me and the level 70 warrior there were a rogue and a hunter, both obviously not interested in cloth drops and other caster loot. And such caster loot was nearly all that dropped. I got Arugal's belt, a blue cloth chest, a staff, some green loot, the quest rewards, and enough xp to gain level 21. And that was with only rolling greed on cloth, and passing on all leather, mail, and plate. It is very easy to see the attraction of dungeons runs like that: they are faster than regular runs, and immensely profitable. But they still make me feel uncomfortable. WoW for me isn't about getting free rewards. I don't regret that SFK trip as an experience on how WoW low-level dungeons are played in 2007, but I don't want to continue doing all the other dungeons like that. It is the achievement, the getting there that is the fun, not the reward at the end.
Comments:
What you describe is so typical of low level players at the moment. In my alt guild I hear this sort of begging in Guild Chat all the time "any1 boost me thru Mara/SM blah blah".
Boosting purely for loot is on the same level as begging, in my opinion.
 
I rarely do instances on my alts, except on my hunter (this char!), when I successfully soloed quite a few dungeon quests when mobs were still green/yellow to me! Now that they "fixed" double-trapping, will be a bit harder to pull that one off again! :(

But I guess this "boost through XXX" will only get worse post 2.3, where old dungeons had their loot revised for more blue stuff and less greens... Of course, ironically, it would be the better time for properly grouping with people of the right level as the instances have been adjusted so that there is (or shouldn't: haven't tried!) that huge gap between start and end quests where you would have quests from 35 to 50 for the same instance...

But I don't have many hopes of doing any of those instances without some high level mixed in...
 
The interesting thing for me is: On my old server (pvp) this kind of getting through instances was completely unknown. And then I stop playing for one or two month, change server after that and instantly there are nearly no other runs than using highlevels for lowlevel dungeons.
 
I had my first experience of boosting a low level kinship group through an instance recently in the Barrow Downs in Lotro. I was actually surprised how much I enjoyed the experience of going back and showing those once terrifying monsters what's what. I was only 20 levels higher than the dungeon though, not 50 so there was still a mild challenge to avoid being overwhelmed.
 
For the issue of high-levels grouped with low-levels, there is a tradeoff between realism and casual fun.

WoW takes the more "realistic" approach by allowing high-level characters to crush low-level content. Your hours spent leveling have paid off, as you can dominate 90% of the game's content single-handedly. You are a god among mortals in Azeroth!

CoH/CoV takes a more "casual fun" approach by allowing sidekicks. But if I can see all the content as a sidekick, then that removes some of the uniqueness of being a max-level character, and reduces my motivation for achieving that.
 
Having a level 70 you know run you through something...not so bad, but still can't touch the experience of tackling content with a full group of your level range. Also, joining a PUG with an unknown level 70 can be an excercise in some serious e-preening. I had this happen recently. The higher level player was extremely touchy about the rest of us tagging mobs. He had to be in complete control. I guess he didn't feel like he could trust us clueless noobs to handle the non-elite beetles in Zul'Farrak. The funny thing is that you *rarely* see truly new players anymore, in the sense that they've not done a particular instance or encounter. So it was just amusing to think that he had this godly sense of all-knowing and the burden of the world was on his shoulders because he was a level 70, when in reality, all of us lowbies did in fact have main level 70 characters.
 
My wife and I have been leveling new characters together, and have been two-manning the dungeons.

It really makes the game more fun. The early dungeons are very forgiving, so a full group is overkill. And it's far more satisfying to kill Van Cleef in Deadmines when there's only two of you and you're both only level 22.
 
Just curious, did you use voice chat in the PUG?
 
= # # = said: "Just curious, did you use voice chat in the PUG?"

Assuming this is in reference to my anonymous post earlier about the ZF PUG. I actually had my voice chat activated, but did not use it.

I actually never find anyone else willing to talk with the in-game chat. I stopped greeting people verbally a while ago, because no one would respond, even if their voice icon was present.

Mercot - US Scarlet Crusade
 
Tis no plate in SFK. That is all.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool