Tobold's Blog
Monday, January 14, 2008
 
Efficient leveling in World of Warcraft

Yesterday's post was about how a badly designed reward system ends up with players pursueing wrong goals, and playing in a way which isn't the most fun. This weekend I leveled my mage from 44 to 47, doing quests over a wide level range. And it struck me that the way World of Warcraft hands out xp for quests and killing mobs isn't necessarily promoting fun, because it doesn't encourage players to challenge themselves. The most efficient way to level in WoW isn't the most fun one.

Doing quests and leveling up has one inherent feature which is very good: Adjustable difficulty. You can choose between quests that are below your level, at your level, or above your level. The lowest level quest you can get (still green, not grey) is generally trivially easy, while the hardest red quest you can accept will be very, very difficult to solo. Ideally the game should be designed in a way that challenges players to try difficult stuff, thus the rewards for doing quests and killing mobs higher than you should be better, or at least equal, to doing the easy stuff. Unfortunately that isn't the case in WoW. Rewards per kill or per quest go up with the level of quest. But the difficulty and time needed goes up or down exponentially with the level difference, while the xp rewards go up linearly. Thus if you want to maximize xp per hour, you best do trivially easy quests of 3 to 5 levels below yours.

This is true for all classes, but playing a mage makes it very easy to see. As I mentioned before my mage is exclusively equipped with gear and consumables that increase spell damage (+276 to frost spells at the moment). With this setup, if I attack a mob 3 levels below my level at maximum range with a frostbolt and just keep spamming frost bolts as fast as possible, the mob usually dies before even reaching me. That is because I just need about 3 frost bolts to kill such a mob, the first that attracts it's attention and two more that hit the mob while it is moving towards me, slowed by the first frostbolt. 3 frostbolts don't cost much mana, so I can target the next mob right away, and kill quite a number of mobs before running out of mana and having to drink.

A mob of about my level is less trivial, because it won't be dead after 3 frostbolts. I might get lucky and get criticals, or proc a frostbite rooting the mob in place. But generally the mob will reach me, so I have to do something else but frostbolts. I can use Ice Barrier, a damage absorption shield, and just keep firing frostbolts while standing still. Or I can freeze the mob in place with frost nova, take a step back, and then hit him with frostbolts again, which now have a much increased crit chance due to talents. The increased number of frostbolts I need, and the other spells I need to avoid getting damaged too much, cost more mana, so I can kill only two or three mobs before running out of mana and having to rest to recover it. If I attack a mob 3 levels higher than me, I need even more evasive action, like blinking around. And I need even more frostbolts or other damage spells to kill him. Which means that after one fight, I'm either already out of mana, or at least don't have enough left to start a second fight like that.

Now look at the xp table for WoW. At my level, 47, I get 280 xp for killing a mob of my level. I get 20 xp less per level difference for lower level mobs, and 14 xp more per level difference for higher level mobs. Thus a level 49 mobs brings 308 xp, while a level 45 mob brings 240 xp. But given the huge difference in difficulty between killing a mob two levels above me and killing a mob two levels below me, I can easily kill two level 45 mobs in the time it would take me to kill one level 49 mob. And as the two level 45 mobs are worth 480 xp, that is much better than killing one level 49 mob for 308 xp. I'm over 50% more efficient when killing the lower level mobs.

Talking of killing two mobs brings me to another obvious flaw in the xp reward system: Killing two mobs at once is much more difficult than killing them one after the other, but gives exactly the same amount of xp. Fortunately in WoW you usually follow quests, thus sometimes you're forced to take on several mobs at once. But if you were just xp grinding, the most efficient way would usually be choosing enemies that you can kill one by one. The possible exception is mages, who due to the fact that low level mobs still give decent xp if killed en masse and their possibilities to use AoE spells can do AoE xp farming.

Of course most players don't do math, calculating the maximum xp per hour they could gain. But if you look at the various leveling guides, whether the excellent free guides or the dubious ones where people try to get money from you for exactly the same information you could have gotten for free, you will see that they all advise doing quests a few levels below your level. Between the players who follow guides, and players who figured the advantage of farming lower level mobs out themselves, the xp reward system influences general player behavior. And unfortunately it encourages players to go for the safer option, as it is more profitable. I would claim that playing it safe isn't the most fun thing to do in a virtual world (although probably advisable in the real world). A reward structure that would encourage players to kill the highest level mobs they possibly can would be better, as it would get people to think more, and develop the best tactics. Not that WoW is likely to do a major revamp of their xp table. But developers should be more aware how simple things like the xp table end up determining the behavior of large numbers of players.
Comments:
I reckon that for twinked and well played toons it might be no problem to kill higher level mobs without to much downtime.

I think people will generally adjust the level (and/or amount) of mobs they are attacking to a level where they feel comfortable with it. (some people just can't stand dying;)

I really like the accomplishment of finishing a groupquest solo. But I also like that i can grind some easier mobs again after a pull that requires lots of preparation, consumables, a tactic and a flawless performance.

Only problem I see is that your resists and misses tend to get really high with higher level mobs. Making luck a very big factor in the succeeding of the pull. (2 resist and you are dead)The only realistic 'tuning' of your targets therefor seems to be to get more targets at the same time or elite targets (which have just more hitpoints)

I guess that a steeper xp bonus system - would encourage powerlevelling.
 
Another consideration for a caster is spell resist. I find that once a mob gets to 3 levels over my level, they resist spells often.
 
I never concern myself with the level of the non-instanced quests; I just go out and attempt them. The fact that you have 20+ in your log inevitably means that you will level up whilst doing them and some will end up getting easier.

My Blood Elf has now reached Lv 63, and I have just finished the last HFP quest available (non-instanced). Unlike most people, I waited until Lv60 to go to Outlands, so effectively I have spent 3 levels in HFP. Going in at 60 has meant quests were a lot easier than if I had been Lv58, and I was able to do some of the 2-player recommended quests solo.

For group quests, I found that registering the quest in the LFG tool was a complete waste of time, as I got no responses at all. Instead, by using General channel and simply asking 'LFM questname', I was able to get evry proper group quest done in a very short space of time, and I met some friendly people, too.
I also helped out people with their group quests, even though I had done them myself, shock, horror!
At no point in all this did I consider the xp I was getting. I did the quests and moved onto the next ones, and I had a great time.
 
They probably do this for grouping reasons but then realized no-one groups in non-instanced/elite XP in WoW and were too lazy to fix it.

In terms of pure XP grinding, chaining greens is the most boringly efficient way to go. This was common knowledge a few weeks after WoW launched.

The most fun, efficient, and rewarding (gear/cash) way is to know your zones and pick up multiple quests around the same areas. I followed a guide from level 35-60 in WoW and everything was so beautifully laid out for you.

Take these three quests and move in this direction killing these mobs along the way. Once you reach your destination grind on these mobs for 15 minutes and take another direction. Find two hidden quests here and make your way back towards the base following this path. Along the way kill these mobs. Once you reach the base, turn in these five quests.

BAM, 1/3 of a bar of XP.

Only a dev or hardcore alt-aholic would know how to XP that fun and efficiently. I am a HUGE proponent of following guides because let's face it, XP from level 1 to X is the most boring part of any MMO... for me anyway.
 
I don't know if the quickest way to level isn't the most fun. I recently took a character to 60 in Novemember, and rolled another character in December (now level 43). I've consistently focused on yellow and orange quests, deleting the green ones, unless I knew a they led into a high-XP chains.

With the XP boost in patch 2.3, I've can manage a level a day even half-heartedly, and my challenge (and fun) lies in finding clusters of quests to complete all at once in the most efficient way possible. For example, I woke up yesterday and mopped up the remaining quests in Dustwallow March at level 40. I then moved over to Feralas, where all of the quests in Camp Mojache were orange, save one, and I was getting 3,500 to 6,200 XP per turnin, not to mention the mob kills. I was 43 when I logged yesterday evening.

It's about finding clusters, knowing when to hearth and quickly take care of repairs and bag dumps, and when to take necessary RL breaks. That's the fun in the game for me when repeating the 1-60 grind. There are delays, such as irritating drop rates, which can waste your time considerably (damn you, thick yeti hides!). And of course, not every day can be a WoW-productive Sunday. :)
 
I have to agree with tobold on this one. I've always been complemented on how well I play any character I've had. And one very big reason is I go out and push my luck and see just how high a level mob, or red quests can be done solo. I'll die several times but I get really good at maximizing the abilities of the class I'm playing.
A huge downside of this is I level slower than my friends. But I have a lot more fun than they do. Of course I'm able to ride out the frustration of dealing with the higher level stuff. And I find that most players in wow just would rather take the easy path.
 
TBC's leveling curve is actually even weirder if you understand the metagame. It's actually better to grind and avoid quests in TBC until you reach certain reputation levels with outland factions, since that actually saves you more effort and annoyance later on. For example:

My shadow priest is currently level 61, and has done zero outland quests so far. Why did I skip the quests completely so far?

1. I know that I need revered reputation to obtain the Glyph of Renewal with Honor Hold. Hellfire Citadel grants Honor Hold reputation with each kill, but the easier ones (Ramparts and Blood Furnace) will only give reputation until I reach Honored. The Hellfire Peninsula quests will give the same reputation regardless. Only Shattered Halls provides reputation past Honored level. Thus, if I want to maximize my reputation gain, I should spend most of my lower levels building reputation to Honored in the instances (and gaining exp at the same time) before doing Hellfire Peninsula quests, which, in the long run, reduces the number of Shattered Halls 'rep runs'.

2. This is the exact same situation as Coilfang Reservoir with the Cenarion Expedition. This is also the same situation as the Lower City and Auchindoun.

One can hand in unidentified plant parts to the Cenarion Expedition NPC until Honored reputation. Thus, it behooves me to get to Honored rep before I do the Cenarion Expedition quests, to maximize rep gain and minimize Steam Vault rep runs. Similarly, one can hand in Arrakoa Feathers in the Lower City until honored reputation. I have several friends who have ground out several thousand arrakoa feathers in order to avoid having to repeatedly go to Shadow Labyrinth for reputation at level 70.

It's counter-intuitive and silly and annoying, but it's also the "optimal" way to avoid grinding later.

--Rawr
 
@Rawr - If you're in Outlands and haven't done any of the quests yet, you're missing out some fantastic gear upgrades that are better than old world raid epics (they were part of deliberate "gear reset" when TBC launched). I know you're trying to be efficient with your reputation, but doing a few of these quests for the "phat greens and blues" will make the rest of your rep grind much easier and faster.

To the larger question of collecting loot, I'd say the 2.3 quest reward changes means there is much less reason to grind anything.

The XP for some completions is incredible for the effort required -sometimes with zero fighting involved (at 40, just doing the cloth turn-in quests at the 5 major cities will raise you a 1/2 level). I'm halfway to getting my 2nd alt to the Outlands since 2.3 came out with almost no grinding, thanks to focusing on grouping quests together in each area and doing the easy-to-complete quests and skipping the dogs.

I've already run enough other characters to 60+ to have had the chance to enjoy all the quests at least once. The 4th time around is just drudgery so I'm focusing on speed and convenience.
 
Well, you say this from a perspective of a mage that can take togher enemies with no problems. But the efficiency of doing quests/mobs two levels below you makes life for non-damags specs (heal priest *wave*) much more fun, since you don't feel gimped while questing.
 
Too bad almost everyone treats wow in a way to get as soon as possible to the levelcap and start to raid. They approach wow as some kind of work and no fun, the reward is at the end. No one seems to read the R for roleplaying in MMORPG anymore. I try to do one quest at a time, when there is a followup do that one, until it's totally done and go on with the next one. This way you experience the quest more as a task you do for someone instead of doing 5 quests at a time, turn them in all at once and go on with the next 5.
I admit this isn't the fastest way to level but I get more fun out of it this way.
I don't like the endgame that much, so now I have a ton of alts, alliance and horde although alliance seems to fit me more. I have a 70 mage, 66 priest, 62 paladin and a 61 warrior and lots of lower levels and even now I'm not bored with doing things for the xth time. I'm a guildmaster of a small guild wich aims for casual players or players that want a relaxed attitude. I play from the beginning, consider myself a casual player stylewise, not in time (20-30 hours a week).
My experience is that there are a lot of people who think the same but they don't speak up.
So please, Blizzard, don't adjust the game too much towards power leveling but try to make the old instances interesting again. There are lots of people who have leveled to 70 and haven't ever been in the "old instances" like stratholme and scholomance. (wich I consider among the best)
I would love it when raiding instances would get an easier mode so that instead of 5% of all players seeing them, it would increase to 90% or so. The goal for me should be to see them, even if there was no loot at all, it still would be fun.
When it's needed in Blizzards opinion to please the raiders and powerleveling people, make an option to start right at the level cap, like in Guildwars.
 
"Too bad almost everyone treats wow in a way to get as soon as possible to the levelcap and start to raid."

That depends on who you're asking, I guess. Because I know dozens of WoW players - whole guilds, even - who have played more than a year and rarely or never raid, and have no desire for a raiding 'second job'. And many of them spend a lot of time leveling alts, and take months in that leveling.
 
Well, you say this from a perspective of a mage that can take togher enemies with no problems. But the efficiency of doing quests/mobs two levels below you makes life for non-damage specs (heal priest *wave*) much more fun, since you don't feel gimped while questing.

Depends on your point of view. My wife would agree with you. I however would simply quit playing if I had to stick to mobs a few levels below me. That makes me feel gimp. I have to push the envelope. It makes the game more exciting for me (does add a certain level of frustration. Especially with my new priest. Horde because I just can't stand to do the alliance quests again. I'm one the BAD customers because I just can't get an alt past level 30. It is like walking on broken glass to do the same old quest chains even on a different class.), But it forces me to learn to use every single talent and tool at my disposal and in the end I feel like I have mastery of my character. I think this is a large part of the reason you see so few tanks and healers in WOW. The leveling game is mainly solo and they aren't the most efficient solo classe.
 
@Pidge: I know exactly what I am doing. The "phat greens and blues" from quests you talk about are completely overshadowed by instance gear I obtain while grinding reputation.

I can run Ramparts and Blood Furnace till honored rep. I can run Underbog and Slave Pens till honored rep. I can run Auchenai and Mana Tombs till I get honored rep. Between those six instances, I can easily get an entire armor kit without needing to quest at all, plus I have the support of my guild (what, you didn't think this was my first character?). My shadow priest would be my 4th lv70 character behind warrior, druid and paladin.

I don't need old world raid epics or quest rewards while I gain my reputation.

--Rawr
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool