Tobold's Blog
Wednesday, April 16, 2008
 
Nihilum expands

Nihilum is considered to be the world's top PvE guild in World of Warcraft. So I was somewhat surprised to get an invitation to join their team, I'm not especially known as being a top raider. But of course they didn't want me for my leet raiding skillz. They are planning to expand their website and were looking for writers.

Nihilum already has a website with far more features than the average guild website, and I'm guessing they get a lot of traffic. Especially their Guides section is very good, with in-depth theorycrafting. When Nihilum writes about the best raiding talent build for this or that class, you can be sure that they know what they are talking about. Well worth visiting.

Nevertheless I don't think that the site is going to be the next WoWInsider. People visit the Nihilum site for what they are, not for what they write. My initial contact with one of the writers from Nihilum was because I had made a bad joke about his punctuation after quoting him. Which wasn't nice of me, my apologies. Nevertheless if you go through the whole Nihilum site, especially the columns section, you will find lots of examples of bad writing, bad spelling, bad grammar, and bad language, none of which would ever have made it past the editor of WoWInsider (I'm pretty sure they have one). When I was still writing for Grimwell.com, before Grimwell closed down the site and turned it into a personal blog, we couldn't simply post what we wanted. There was a system of peer reviews and an editor looking at spelling and grammar. I'm not saying that I don't make spelling and grammar mistakes on this blog, but working with an editor certainly improved my writing skills. I am so not going to write a column next to people who don't know what a capital letter is and whose every second word is "fuck". So I ended up declining the invitation.

Nevertheless I wish them the best of luck with their endeavor to expand their site. And thank them for their invitation, because now if somebody asks me what guilds I've been in I can always say "well, Nihilum wanted me, but I turned them down". :)
Comments:
I trust you would have been writing 18 hours a day, 7 days a week Tobold?

Hehehe grats anyway mate!
 
Ummm....one has to wonder when on earth these elite raiders get time to even read blogs, never mind write them?
 
Ummm....one has to wonder when on earth these elite raiders get time to even read blogs, never mind write them?
Actually.. a significant amount of a bleeding-edge raider's time goes into research. They don't just live in an instance and bash their collective heads against a brick wall of a boss until it buckles. Those class guides, boss strategies, item lists, dps calculators etc don't just pop out of nowhere. They decypher formulas, make estimates, run tests, speculate on strategies, evaluate past performance and so on.
 
Ummm....one has to wonder when on earth these elite raiders get time to even read blogs, never mind write them?

When they're at work (like everyone else!) :)
 
Behind every good piece of writing is a good copy editor. Anyone who thinks otherwise is deluding himself.
 
From some of the articles I've read on Wowinsider, I doubt their editing staff is very large or well-paid.
 
Wowinsider may not be the New York Times, but they do use capital letters and not "fuck" as every other word.

Grats on your invite, Tobold. It's nice to know that your fame is on the level of Nihilum's. :-)
 
Somehow I doubt Nihilum would back Tobold's stance on how raids should work. They are the #1 poopsockers in the world, after all.

--Rawr
 
I really wonder why they wanted to have Tobold. They're the kind of people who consider it fair that 60% of the content is designed for 2% of the players. They consider every *fun* way to get good loot a personal insult to high-end raiding. You'll see numerous posts on their website on how Blizaard "hates raiding", because of a dozen completely inconsequential things, even though it's clear to everyone else that lead designer Tigole was a hardcore raider himself and allocates a disproportional amount of resources to the raiding endgame. Needless to say, they complain about the mechanic that the Sunwell Plateau bosses will become available over time. This was of course introduced to prevent the top guilds from announcing world first kills the first week after 2.4 and crying for yet more content. This upsets guilds like Nihilum, because they want to announce world first kills the first week after 2.4 and cry for yet more content.

In other words, they're so far removed from the playstyle and needs of the average WoW player, that I wonder if they even understand Tobold's point of view on raiding and game design. They must have read the blog before they made the offer, right?
 
"you can be sure that they know what they are talking about"

No, they don't. Especially the Hunter Guide was just bullshit.
 
Anonymous, could you provide some links to those posts?
 
Shrug, depending on what they wanted from you it would have been fun. Getting to see top content quickly and easily. Being "editor" for their site would suck ass however writing for it would likely expand your audience and their's.

Why do you dislike wowinsider?
 
Why do you dislike wowinsider?

Where do I say I dislike WoWInsider? I read them every day. And in this post I guessed that their consistently high standards of spelling are kept up by an editor, although I have no insider knowledge of how they work.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool