Tobold's Blog
Saturday, June 14, 2008
 
Maybe I'm press after all

On the old question of whether bloggers are press, my stance has always been that it doesn't matter so much what I think I am, it only matters what game companies think I am. I mentioned previously that I asked Blizzard for a press pass to the Blizzard Worldwide Invitational 2008 in Paris in two weeks, and they generously promised me a free ticket. That was already quite a success, but it looked as if that was just a regular free ticket, just like the one I already bought. But now I got the mail with the link to print out the barcode that I'll have to scan at the entrance to get the ticket. And while my bought barcode say "attendee" under it, my free ticket barcode says "PRESS". So, woot, apparently I'm press after all.

I've been attending game conventions as attendee and as referee (DCI certified judge for Magic the Gathering), but never as press. I'm promising you extensive coverage, but not live coverage, laptops are actually banned on the convention floor. One is also not allowed to photograph or film any computer screens, so I'll just leave my camera at home. I have no idea whether I'll have the opportunity to interview anyone, so I'm wondering whether I should buy a voice recorder. Maybe I'll do it just for the look: Tobold the reporter. :) But knowing myself my coverage of the event will be short on journalistic fact finding, and long on impressions and opinions.
Comments:
Awesome Tobold! Congrats! I can't wait to hear your experiences.
 
Haha, congrats Tobold! You better have an awesome scoop when you come back.
 
Yeah grats man, this is a sweet deal and a possible opening for more of us in the blogosphere to be able to do some great reporting! Have fun!
 
Make sure you get a Panama Hat with a bit of paper that says 'PRESS' stuck in the band.
 
Nicely done Tobold; looking forward to your analysis/opinions.
 
Man...

Please make sure to tell us as soon as it happens...

What is the big announcement..
(Prays for Diablo 3...)
 
So uh....now that youve got a spare ticket *coughcough*

Kidding of course :P Grats, and I second the Panama Hat!
 
Grats, Tobold! Just do what you always planned to do at the event: post your thoughts on what you see and hear. The only thing the pass really changes is that you might get to see and hear some stuff that you wouldn't otherwise have been granted access to...and that interview, of course. On a side note: grats to Blizzard on getting it. They're a game company and they don't have to play by old media rules if they don't want to. Seriously, they will get a ton of good PR for this in the community and they didn't have to bribe you or try to influence your coverage, they just gave you a ticket. Kudos all around. :)
 
I would very much recommend getting a voice recorder not just because it will make you look a little more Press-like, but because it will make it a lot easier for you to 'take notes' as you go, than try to remember everything at the end of the day.
 
I hope your nametag says "Tobold" so people recognize you as the famous blogger-turned-press. :-)
 
But wait, Tobold! If you're press you must turn in your Warhammer Beta account now! Press aren't allowed in! I'm TELLING!!!

:)

Grats mate, and look forward to reading your coverage.
 
:P :)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool