Tobold's Blog
Friday, August 15, 2008
 
My Dark Age of Camelot Experience

Rick from /random was surprised that Van Hemlock didn't play Dark Age of Camelot. So in the interest of full disclosure, I'm going to tell you about my Dark Age of Camelot experience. Because I fully agree with Rick that one's DAoC experience might well influence one's impression of Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning.

I did play Dark Age of Camelot when it came out in October 2001, but only for a few months. RvR had nothing to do with me joining or leaving DAoC. In fact, at the time the very idea that the endgame would be important didn't even occur to me. I had played Everquest for 19 months, and my highest level character was level 42. There was some EQ guild drama, and a couple of unlucky deaths resulting in me not gaining a level for a month. Yes, hard to believe nowadays, but a death in EQ at that level could set you back a week's worth of xp. I felt stuck, and DAoC offered a chance to see something new, and to level up again.

After some experimentation with character classes, I chose the friar as my main character. Very cool class, combining standard priestly healing with extremely good-looking martial arts maneuvers, using a quarterstaff. I actually had other players stop and watch me fight, the moves were so cool. The PvE adventuring was great. What was also a big improvement over EQ was the tradeskill system, where you would level up by doing crafting quests, which not only rewarded you with skill points, but even earned you some money. Even the death penalty was less harsh than in EQ, you still lost experience points (and constitution) on every death after level 5, but didn't have to do the naked corpse run any more.

I hadn't come alone, a couple of friends from EQ joined me in DAoC, and we founded our own guild, the "Waldmeister", with me as the guild leader. I learned HTML and created my very first website for the guild, having a simple guild roster and some maps. The guild wasn't big, and it was neither a raid nor a RvR guild, we just hung out together to have some fun. Among the members there were a girl and a young man who had met in the game, lived far apart from each other, but began to form an online relationship. Totally harmless, I don't think there was any cybering involved. And while we weren't really much into roleplaying either, somehow the idea of an online marriage came up. With me being a friar and guild leader, I ended up performing the ceremony in the big cathedral of Camelot, after which we moved into a tavern to party. That was pretty much the highlight of my DAoC experience, but unfortunately also the beginning of the end.

First there was trouble at the marriage party, with one other guild member obviously jealous about all of the attention the "couple" received, and trying to grab some of that attention for himself by misbehaving. Words flew, matters escalated, and in the end I had to kick the guy out of the guild. But the trouble didn't stop. It turned out that the father of the girl was also playing DAoC, and he didn't approve of her having an online relationship. So what did he do? He deleted the girl's character and forbade her to contact the boy or our guild again. Lots of guild drama about this and some other events, and somehow my guild expected me to fix everything, which I of course couldn't. I felt under immense stress, until I really didn't enjoy playing any more, and quit the game. Being a guild leader is a tough job, I don't envy anyone doing it.

So, as I said, RvR had nothing to do with me leaving Dark Age of Camelot, I quit because I had bitten off more than I could chew when founding my own guild. But what I had seen up to then in RvR didn't really convince me either. You must remember that this was very early in the game, and the ruleset wasn't the same as it was later. This was before the patch which prevented high-level characters from entering low-level RvR zones. So the first time I entered a RvR zone I was one-shotted by some high-level archer. Later I participated in some larger battles and keep fights, but was disappointed when I found out that the keep we had fought so hard for to conquer was taken back by the other side at 3 am in the morning when we were sleeping. And being a healer I got shot *a lot*, archers were a huge nuisance in early DAoC, before they got nerfed. But this was all just casual PvP in pickup groups, I never was part of a big guild with well-organized RvR. Maybe I would have liked PvP better if I had had a better experience of it, but DAoC wasn't really a good game for casual PvP. It only taught me that the bigger side wins most of the time, and that skill isn't really part of a zerg rush.

Looking at WAR now, I recognize the improvements, well, improvements from my point of view. This isn't 2001 any more, we are now in the much gentler, post-WoW era. We have the anti-ganking chicken, and generous PvP rewards even for the losing side. We don't have an experience point penalty on dying any more. A DAoC player using a time-machine to move from 2001 to end of 2008 would probably consider WAR to be pretty carebear. But me, not having enjoyed the harsher original DAoC version, I'm having more hope that the gentler WAR PvP will have a broader appeal, also to the more casual players. Whether it can also provide the "impact PvP" that the PvP-fans are dreaming off remains to be seen. Me, I'm mostly wanting to play the PvE part of WAR, just like I did in DAoC.
Comments:
You probably meant being a guildleader not "buying" one...
 
Fixed that. I think I typed something completely different like "buing" and Word autocorrect corrected it to something I didn't want.
 
Due to a couple of unfortunate circumstances a few months back, my guild lost a lot of members and somehow I became the raid leader. We're don't raid to the extent that the most hardcore do (8 hours a week max), but as an adult with a job I found it to be take more of my free time than I had anticipated.

It is my firm belief that guilds are best run by university students. They've got the time and the energy that the majority of working adults do not.
 
DAoC was the first MMO that really hooked me. I played EQ for a month or so around SoV, and found it to be more like "paying someone to come to my house and kick me in the 'nads" than "a game."

Oddly the first time I played DAoC I too ended up never making it to 50 and leaving because of drama in game. I tried moving to a different server, but just couldn't bring myself to start over again. I didn't start seriously playing i again until Catacombs.

Modern DAoC is a kinder gentler game than launch DAoC, by a wide margin. Modern EQ is much gentler for that matter. I can't now imagine putting up with what I used to back then.
 
To be honest, the RvR didn't draw me in either, but it's what kept me there till they released possibly the worst expansion to ever grace a online game (trials of atlantis).

Realm vs realm was an opportunity to do something for the rest of the people in the realm and also fight as a team/group/realm was so much fun. I ran one of the higher tier pvp group setups on Percival, and even ranked no.1 (for a zerker) RP gained for about 5 months running and 3 others in our group also held that position for their classes too.

Our alliance organized big raids (relic raids), mass roaming battles of 100+ people at times (not that my machine could really handle it :P) which were just epic standoffs or stealth keep raids... hit em hard and quick.

But then again DAOC is/was allot more complicated than WAR. Thanks to warcraft every MMO is being dumbed down (and wow is being dumbed down even further if you believe some of the stuff in patch notes for Wrath), simplistic play styles makes for a boring game imo.

I could on about WAR a bit more but the NDA is still up as far as I know.
 
I played DAoC until ToA made me stop, played on Palomides. My experience was vastly different than yours RvR wise, there was casual RvR everywhere. I can't honestly think of any other gaming experience, where everyone just seemed to be helping out.
 
I didn't get to try DAoC but it reminds me of my first time in WoW & the same guild I co-ran. We never had that much drama but the core set of players moved to various other servers with RL friends.

Tobold do you think you will learn to love PvP/RvR with WAR or just put up with it - tried any in beta yet?
 
Yes, but if I told you about it, I would have to kill you. NDA. :)
 
I haven't heard the phrase care bear in years. It only ever came up when some idiot was defending his right to slaughter low level players (subscribers).

It should be noted, and you have, that every rule change these twerps have whined about has resulted in a more popular hobby, period.
 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
>> It only taught me that the bigger
>> side wins most of the time, and
>> that skill isn't really part of a
>> zerg rush.

This was definitely not true in DAoC. In DAoC RvR/PvP, skill was absolute king. Gear was not a huge thing, because every stat had a cap. You could reach cap in everything with good player crafted gear.

I was part of an 8 man (1 group) regular team that RvRed a couple nights a week. There were very few 1 group (8 players) teams that could take us out on our server (we were Midgard, Percival), and we routinely took down 2-3 groups (16-24 players) or Albs or Hibs. We had some epic battles with other organized 8 man teams (in particular, with one Hib guild Palodox).
 
Midgard, Percival here too. My cave/aug shammy never got into the hard-core 8v8 stuff... I much preferred rumbling along with the zerg and smashing into keeps. ;)

And the battlegrounds of course. Especially Thidranki.

ToA pretty much ended my game. I didn't start playing until the Classic Server came up... but I've had a huge amount of fun levelling a new shaman almost completely through battleground RvR.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool