Tobold's Blog
Saturday, August 02, 2008
 
Sitemeter crashes Internet Explorer

Several readers reported that when they tried to open my site, they got a "Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site http://tobolds.blogspot.com/" error message. I then found that I had the same problem, but only with Internet Explorer, not with Firefox. And on visiting a few other sites with the same problem, and doing a Google search, I found that the culprit is Sitemeter. I can't access the Sitemeter site with Internet Explorer, and even just the little script on many blogs that counts the visitors and page views makes all of these sites inaccessible with Internet Explorer.

Needless to say I removed the Sitemeter script, and now my site can be accessed with all browsers again with no problem. Anyone know another visitor counter utility, which doesn't start at zero, but where I can enter the 1.86 million visitors I had up to now as a starting value?
Comments:
I'm not totally convinced that sitemeter is that good at recording visits anyway & I had noticed that my script had stopped working on my site.

Can't advise on another one but would be interested to hear what others say.
 
Personally I use histats.com, easy to use and plenty of options, and yes you can enter any number of visitors you want to start with. There's also no limits to number of log entries, sitemeter has 500 entries at most I think.
Give it a try, I'm sure you'll like it.
 
Imo, you should just remove internet explorer from everyone's computers. >.>
 
Internet explorer is great!
Mozilla doesn;t have links, i dislike that.
 
Seems to be working with Internet Explorer once again. I use Firfox most of the time, but I know a lot of people read blogs on work computers that only use IE.
 
It seems most people use FireFox because they wish it was better than IE not that it's actually better than FireFox, just like how many people think computers from local stores are better than the ones sold at Future Shop or Best Buy.
 
It seems most people use FireFox because they wish it was better than IE not that it's actually better than FireFox, just like how many people think computers from local stores are better than the ones sold at Future Shop or Best Buy.

----

I'm not sure if that was stated correctly, but if you are trying to say IE is better than Firefox, you have a few million computer experts to prove wrong.

Not to mention that FireFox actually conforms to the standards put down by the various organizations that manage computer networking and the Internet. Something IE has never done and is the cause of MOST of it's security issues.

Anyways, I am not wholly convinced this was a SiteMeter issue. I browse with both browsers and have had no issues with SiteMeter. Without a better run down of exactly what crashes and when, it would be tough to make the call.

With blogger, it is important where the script is actually placed as it is known to cause issues when poorly placed in regards to elements that have other scripts running on them. Especially anything you personally modified.

Changing the icon type not to display a number has also known to improve its performance.
 
Ack, I forgot to say that if you are using the new blogger with customizable layouts, place the script in its own block and put it on the bottom of the page. Then, if it is the problem, the entire page will load before crashing and it can be identified as the culprit.
 
Sitemeter fixed their problem, and the counter is back. Let me know if you experience any other problems.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool