Tobold's Blog
Tuesday, September 02, 2008
 
Wizard101 released

Wizard101 went live today. I already mentioned the free trial and the $9.95 monthly fee. But now there is also a 6-month subscription for $49.95 and a 12-month subscription for $79.95. And for this week only there is also a special offer, where you can get the first 12 months for $60. Hmmm, another offer I couldn't refuse. I subscribed for a year, because at $5 a month the game is quite reasonably priced.

I already mentioned the child protection features. So if you want to meet me in game, send me an e-mail, and I'll get a "true friend code" from the game to mail back to you. The code is valid for 48 hours, and would allow you to chat with me and even teleport to my location if we are both online. As I said, no guilds in that game, but only networks of friends.
Comments:
Cool. I'll be downloading it tonight to check it out.
 
Hmm, I wasn't going to sub because even though I had fun in beta it didn't seem worth the cost but $5 a month! That is a touch decision there.
 
I tried it out. Admittedly, I didn't play long at all. The game just didn't seem all that interesting to me.

I love card-based games. I can't wait for a great ccg/mmo to come along. And I know that this wasn't supposed to be it. It just didn't scratch the surface, in my mind.
 
Lol, you got me hooked, Tobold. I paid the $60, too.

What's up with the "Crowns" thing? What can you buy with them?
 
Finally, the game goes live and we can talk about it. I have been playing W101 since the early beta, before the first wipe. I'm really impressed by KingsIsle and the game so far. I've only subscribed for one month for now. I'm waiting to see when the first update is released and what they give us in that update. The game world is still kinda small for $10 per month.

The "crowns" will allow you to buy epic quality items (slightly better than the items you can find by actually playing the game). That makes me a little bit sad, since I don't think it's fair for someone to be more powerfull than me, when I've done all the quests and they haven't.

Tobold, have you tried dueling yet? For the last two or three weeks (before the wipe) I was playing a level 33 storm wizard in the arena (Dakota Waterwraith), and it was a ton of fun. The card based system leads to deeper strategy than it first appeared.
 
I enjoyed the beta period, and will be spending time in the game. So far, my biggest complaint is that the characters' jump is remarkably shallow. If that's the biggest problem I have, things are going well.
It sort of reminds me of a hybrid of Puzzle Pirates and WoW, with a hefty dose of Harry Potter. It's fun to play, pretty to look at, and rund nicely. It's not an earth shattering game, but it's a good one.
 
We bought subs for the whole family.

We did not, however, buy any crowns. We used the freebie weekend crowns to buy the beta reward pet dragons.

The selling of crowns on top of the subscription is a little much. At some point they were talking about giving a monthly crown allowance to subscriptions. They should have done that.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool