Tobold's Blog
Tuesday, September 02, 2008
 
WotLK introduces server first titles

According to MMO Champion as part of the new achievement system in Wrath of the Lich King there will also be a set of "server first" titles. For example "The Malefic - First warlock on the realm to achieve level 80" or "Twilight Vanquisher - Participated in the realm first Sartharion the Onyx Guardian kill (25 player)". Except for causing another silly race to the level cap (in The Burning Crusade the first guy reached level 70 after 28 hours non-stop playing), I don't see that having much of an impact. But well, if it makes some people happy, I don't mind. As long as I get to kill Sartharion the Onyx Guardian in a 10-man raid that doesn't take my guild over a year to achieve, the server first guys can have all the titles they want.
Comments:
I don't know that that is a positive reinforcement. The race-with-one-winner encourages anti-social behavior (both player-on-player and also game-on-society), botting, and other exploitation.
Didn't they learn anything from the old honor grind to the top ranks? People sharing accounts, hired stringers to keep playing 24/7, ruined health/relationships/etc (MMORPGs don't *necessitate* addiction, but winning these titles will *necessitate* 24/7 play).
 
Agree with patrick. First to lv 80? So what. Since when was levelling a race, anyway?

First to kill this raid-boss or that one? I can see some people wanting that, but it is already obvious who gets the first world kill or server kill, anyway.
 
These titles suck big time..

First to reach 80? I already got asked by serveral people if I wanted to help them get their title by playing his character together with them. This is not a title.. Everyone running around with it carries over his head the proof that he is a sad little cheater and nothing else.

And the server first kill.. why does it have to be 25 player? Those already get rewarded by getting loot that is one tier above the rest, I really don't see why they have to rewarded with fancy titles too.
These title would be way better if you had to kill the final boss of a higher raid instance, 10 or 25 man doesn't matter. And let everyone get the title who killed the boss in the same week or even month, everything else encourages sick behavior like "lets play 24/7 to ensure we get our title".

I love those titles, but most of them require you to do awkward things at the moment.
I'd like to be a diplomat, but that would mean grinding up Timbermaw Hold reputation which is otherwise useless and very painful to raise with a holy priest and 2 rep points per mob.
I'd like to be "salty", but to do that I have to participate in this sick stranglethorn fishing contest which has nothing to do with the contemplation of real fishing and is instead a mad race where everyone tries to elbow the rest out of their way to get the most pools before the rest does.

I hope Blizzard adds some more titles soon. I really like those thingies, but the one we got up till now suck.
 
If I could loot players I would come back to WoW; until then I'll be playing Ultima Online.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool