Tobold's Blog
Thursday, August 23, 2018
 
Don't tell them it's 4th edition

The Vault of Iptiz dungeon I ran past weekend was a success, with both me and the players having a lot of fun. So I'm planning another session for next week, and this time I'm designing the dungeon myself. But I am keeping some of the design elements of the Vault of Iptiz: I am using tiles to build the dungeon, I am limiting myself to a size of dungeon that when built with tiles will fit on a table, and most importantly I am using dungeon rooms with lots of decision points.

A decision point in dungeon design is anything where the players have to make a meaningful choice: Do I pull this lever? Do I try to balance over this narrow bridge? Do I open this chest? Sometimes these decision happen out of combat, but having decision point in combat much enhances the experience. A fight that happens in some special environment where the terrain gives modifies movement, or gives cover, or confers advantages or disadvantages, ends up being a lot more memorable than the same fight against the same monsters in a bare room.

Now 5th edition Dungeons & Dragons has a strong "old school" vibe, and a lot of the dungeons you can find consist mostly of bare rooms with monsters and the occasional treasure in it. Also the monsters in 5th edition are more frequently rather simple, having just an armor class, hit points, attack, and damage values. 4th edition, which was too complicated for a mass market and was played at lot less than 5th edition, made more frequent use of tactical influence of terrain and nearly every monster had some special powers and unique attacks. 5E combat is faster, but can easily feel a bit generic and repetitive.

So what I am trying to achieve is the best of both worlds. Using 5E rules and thus relatively fast combat, I am using 4E encounter design principles: Terrain interaction, environment manipulation, and monsters with special abilities. That includes using more homebrew monsters that are variations from some original in the Monster Manual. The result is combat encounters that are different, more epic, and where you can't use the same standard tactic every time. I just don't tell them what edition those design principles are coming from, because 4th edition has such a bad rep. See? I'm holding the 5th edition Players' Handbook, so this must be 5E! :)

Labels:


Comments:
I think decision points are one of the most fun things of D&D in all situations, and I massively agree with you promoting them. I do think they fit in pretty much all iterations, and we have never stopped trying to implement them, starting at 3.5.
 
Just good, common sense. 4E didn't invent these, but it did a great job of teaching how to implement them, and why they were relevant.
 
It's not a matter that the encounter design principles were the "bad" aspect of 4e; I found the generic world as well as the concepts behind how to generate an encounter quite good. It's the other aspects of 4e that I disliked.

I still maintain that WotC should have never called 4e Dungeons and Dragons, as it was much better as a separate RPG property.
 
My personal preference would have been for 4th edition to be sold under the name of “D&D Tactics”.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool