Tobold's Blog
Tuesday, January 28, 2020
 
Low energy games

If you noticed a lack of posting beyond the usual state of affairs, it was because I am ill. The doctor thinks it's an ulcer bleeding into my stomach, unpleasant but not life threatening. So I was at home with all the time in the world, and at first I didn't play any games at all. I just didn't have the energy. And when I was feeling a bit better, I thought about continuing to play World of Tanks, and decided against it. That seemed to require far too much effort to play. I needed something far more low energy, so I ended up advancing quite a lot further in Dragon Quest XI.

Now I have to say there is a lot I don't like about Dragon Quest XI. Unlike other JRPG, which tend to start with a lot of explanations at the start but at some point let you play far more freely, in Dragon Quest XI the railroading and endless cut scenes never stops. And the combat doesn't require enough tactical finesse for my taste. On the up side I really like the graphics and the monsters built around bad puns. So in the end the whole thing plays a bit like an interactive story book, which apparently is a good thing if you are at home, sick.

It would probably be possible for me to play World of Tanks. But I don't think I would enjoy it much. My enjoyment from playing World of Tanks comes from the fact that it is complicated, but uses skills that are not outside my reach. Which means that even after 1 year of having restarted World of Tanks, I am still learning and getting better. The various websites you can use to show your player statistics have either graphs or compare your stats of the last 30 days to your overall stats; and according to those I have been pretty much constantly improving my gameplay. There aren't many games that both allow that, and that I would consider worth investing that much time in. But the downside clearly is that when I think that I am not in a shape to play well, I don't want to play at all.

Comments:
Get well soon!

Being sick sucks. Obvious, I know. Hope they're giving you all appropriate therapy and treatment and you're back on your gaming feet soon.
 
What Polynices said! Hope you soon get sorted.
 
Get well soon! Thoughts and prayers :)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool