Tobold's Blog
Thursday, February 20, 2020
 
Phoenix Point - The End

I finished a campaign for the first time in Phoenix Point yesterday. And then I immediately uninstalled the game, because the overall experience was so frustrating. On the easiest difficulty and having used some cheats, I barely made it through the final fight, as the aliens had infinite respawns, and I only had limited ammunition. This is not a game you can play "for fun".

Don't get me wrong, the individual battles in Phoenix Point are quite fun to play, most of the time. They do have this "one more turn" and then "one more battle" draw. As long as you are in a reasonably balanced battle, that is. And balance is certainly not the strength of Phoenix Point. If you compare Phoenix Point to the XCom series, in Phoenix Point the power progression of your soldiers is a lot flatter. You can reach their maximum level pretty quickly, their weapons and armor don't get so much better over the game from research, your squad size only goes up from 6 to 8, and your inventory size is limited and never goes up. Meanwhile the enemies, aliens and humans, go up in numbers and strength more than you do. You end up using cheesy tactics that exploit broken combos or flaws in the AI to win.

So basically I would love a version of Phoenix Point where I could just play individual battles, selecting the number and strength of the enemies. Unfortunately my only option is playing through the campaign, which is pretty tedious, and I don't want to do that again. The next time I want to shoot some aliens in tactical, turn-based battles, I'll reinstall XCom 2.

Comments:
I would argue that Phoenix Point is a game mostly about strategic layer, far more than two last XCOMs, and the fact that you find yourself losing on that layer means that you're probably playing the game wrong. The loss state is developers way to tell you that.

I would suggest that the battles aren't meant to be balanced in this game. They are unfair for you while you haven't find counter-strategy agaisnt current enemy forces, and after you do, they become unfair for the aliens for a while. And turning that over is the point of strategic layer, that is far less restrictive (and, as a result, far less thightly paced) that XCOM. So by looking for balanced battles in Phoenix Point, I think you're looking for something that wasn't there all along.

I vastly prefer XCOM 2 way of doing things myself, but there's a significant playerbase for Phoenix Point way.
 
“Playing the game wrong” for example includes playing through scavenging missions when you find them, instead of cancelling those missions and getting your resources by trading. In other words, unless you are the kind of player who obsessively reads all the strategy advice on forums, Reddit, and others places, you are extremely likely to “play the game wrong”, because the obvious choice is the wrong one.
Sorry, but I call that bad game design.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool