Tobold's Blog
Tuesday, August 18, 2020
 
Reroll

If we think back to an earlier age of video gaming, games having an end was normal. Not just for arcade games, which for obvious commercial reasons can't give you more than X minutes of play time for your quarter. But also for more complicated strategy games like Civilization: You play on a map with a civilization until you win, lose, or lose interest, and then you start on another map with another civilization. Of course, such games still exist. But increasingly, as part of the "games as a service" idea, there are games that never end. There are people out there who have been playing the same character in World of Warcraft for 15 years. Now games like WoW still offer you the possibility to start over with a new character, or even on a new server. But some of the games I have played don't have that possibility. The only way to start over in World of Tanks, for example, is to open a new account.

I recently mentioned that my wife started playing Assassin's Creed Rebellion. So I occasionally helped her and showed her things that weren't well explained by the game itself. And I noticed that playing those lower levels of Assassin's Creed Rebellion was a lot more fun than my version of the game. Because I had been playing for months already, I had reached the level cap, reached the end of the story, and had two thirds of my heroes already at the highest possible 5-start rank. There wasn't much to strive for left in the game, and it had gotten a bit boring. So I decided to reroll. Which is absolutely not foreseen in that game. While the game is played on iOS or Android, the save game is hosted on Facebook. I might have been able to delete that save game on Facebook, but of course then I would have lost the ability to go back to my high-level save game if I ever wanted to. So in the end I had to create another Facebook account with another e-mail in order to be able to start a new game of Assassin's Creed Rebellion.

The advantage of the reroll game of ACR is that, having already been at the top level, I am in less of a hurry to get there again. So I am less tempted by offers to spend money to advance faster, and happily play with the more common heroes the game gives me for free.

Of course another option would be to stop playing this, and start playing another game. However finding a mobile game that I like is very hard. There are now literally a million games on the app store. If you start a search on games that use the same fundamental mechanic as Assassin's Creed Rebellion, which is to say a game about collecting heroes and battling with them, there are thousands and thousands of those around. Unfortunately, most of them have extremely boring battle mechanics, with the best option usually being setting battles to "auto" mode. A game like Assassin's Creed Rebellion, where you really have to think which heroes to take with you on a mission, and which one of the three heroes to use for each room, and which of the various options (sneaking, running past, assassination, combat) is the best for each enemy, are rare and hard to find. I'd be open to suggestions!


Comments:
Following your advice I have installed it but for the first 3 level I did not fimd the thinking part : all probability are written so you can select each character until you find the one with the highest one. Is it going more complex later or am I missing something ?
About non real time game on mobile amd without a monetizing scheme out of buying it I can recommend Vodobanka. The strategic layer is fun for the first level without going too far ( still relaxing to play). I also recommend trying the free game Hoplite. - but this is clearly a game with an end.
 
At the start you are in a sort of tutorial with just one character, so not much choice there. Soon you have three characters in your party, and there are 9 possible classes (3 of each color). Soon you come into situations where the game recommends a certain class for a mission, but maybe you have another character of the same color that is stronger, and you need to decide which one to take. And while the probabilities of success are shown, when the levels get longer you also need to consider that you can use a certain skill only something like 4 times. Then some levels branch, and you can take different ways to the target, another decision to make.

It isn't rocket science, but when you are on a mission that is hard compared to your current level, using the auto run function usually ends up with you failing the mission, while with some thinking you can succeed.
 
I've been playing Castle Clash for several years. The combat is auto so very rare that you need fast reaction time. You collect heroes, level them, build them and form teams for various content. The clash portion is the background task now. I'm not sure how beginner friendly it is though, they've added so many heroes and game modes over the years. It takes me 5 minutes to collect rewards the first time I load the game each day.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool