Tobold's Blog
Sunday, October 18, 2020
 
A gloomy experiment

The 7th Citadel board game finished its Kickstarter Campaign with over 3 million Euro, over ten times the requested funds, and over twice what the 7th Continent Kickstarter brought in. Due to the similarity of the two projects, it is rather likely that the game will be successfully made and delivered. And with the experience from the first project, the creators now more conservatively estimated the project duration at nearly 2 years instead of 1. So 2022 it is. What am I going to do until then?

In fact I started playing The 7th Continent solo from time to time. I do like complex board games with exploration and story, which I can play solo or co-operatively with my wife. And while surfing the internet with that interest, I came upon Gloomhaven again, the top ranked board game at BoardGameGeek. I watched again a couple of video reviews and play-throughs, and decided that Gloomhaven fits my criteria. And I noticed that on Steam a digital adaptation of Gloomhaven is in Early Access.

So I decided to do a somewhat expensive experiment: Videogame vs. board game. I ordered the board game from Amazon, including some helpful additions like inserts, for €200. And I spent €25 for the Early Access version on Steam, and already started playing through the tutorial. My initial sneaking suspicion is that for occasional solo play, the computer version might be superior, as Gloomhaven has a lots of parts and cards, and the board game version takes a lot of time to set up. But playing coop across a table is probably more fun than on two screens.

Labels:


Comments:
I've played both.

I played 15 scenarios solo.I never play solo. It was a lot of fun, but quite fidly with many conditions and rules. But the best solo boardgame I've played.

I had a short break, and it was very very hard to get back into. So I sold it.

The pc game works well on the tactical level, but is rather uninteresting on the strategic level. Again, played it to lvl 6 and had a lot of fun with it. Looking forward to the real boardgame story comes out.


 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool