Tobold's Blog
Tuesday, March 02, 2021
 
Valheim World Generator

 There is an interesting website with a Valheim World Generator. It reverse engineers the world generation in Valheim, so that you can enter a seed and get the map of your world with all interesting locations. The only problem is that you probably need to have played Valheim for a lot of hours before you actually know what shape of world you might want. Until you have a certain knowledge of the game, the maps all look a bit the same. But it is a fun tool to play around and get a bit of insight into procedurally generated worlds.

The most visible difference between worlds is whether the islands are more round and separated, or more elongated and connected. In extreme cases of elongated worlds, you can have all 5 biomes reachable on foot from your starting location. However, that would be some long walks. And unless you want to cheat, the restriction on teleporting ore means that a long walk to the nearest swamp would be a path you'd have to take very often. Personally, I would prefer a world with a starting point near the ocean, and the nearest swamp easily reachable by boat, because then you can transport the iron ore by sea.

If you use the function of the Valheim World Generator to find where the boss mobs and the trader are, it becomes very obvious that some worlds are much better than others. The first boss is always close, but there are big differences in how close the nearest trader, second and third boss are. The bosses are a bit less critical, because the game will tell you where the closest next boss is; but on some worlds you basically have no chance of ever finding the trader, which will lock you out of some parts of the game, like fishing.

The center of the map is always the meadows biome, and if you zoom out you can see clearly how the other biomes are further and further away from the center. But the earlier biomes reappear further out as well. So one thing you can look out for is whether there is an island further away that has several or even all five initial biomes. Even if the starting island isn't great, you would just need to build a raft to get to a far better place. Of course that depends on how nomadic you want to play this game.

The one thing I don't like is how opaque all of this is. Without a cheat or external website you will never even see your whole map. While you can exchange "best seeds" with other players, you can't influence the creation of the world with some parameters, like you can when making a world in the game Civilization. The best thing you can do is try out a bunch of different seeds on the above website, until you find one you like. For me that would be something like the seed Tobold0102 (link takes a minute or so to load); I'd build my base southwest of the starting point, and have easy access to different bosses and traders, with a possibility to ship iron over sea.


Comments:
The opacity is precisely what makes the game work for me. I've played for well over 100 hours now. I play on the first and only world I seeded with my first and only character and I haven't googled anything or read any guides (except once to check if something was a bug or not). Not having any clue whether my world is good or bad is part of the appeal. It doesn't matter if it's good or bad. Making the best of what I have is what matters.

I guess if I'd pulled a really terrible, unplayable world I might have givben up or re-seeded. But I didn't. So on I go.

I'm fairly certain that as time goes on and the game develops I'm going to find it less and less interesting. It seems to me that a huge part of the appeal lies in trying to figure out for myself how it works. With a game this successful that level of naivety is going to be hard to sustain. Which is why I'm enjoying the mystery now, while I still can.
 
The core appeal here is the explorer aspect. I've read blogs on it but not much past that.

There's a need for slightly better breadcrumbs though. Its entirely possible to have a horrible seed and not figure it out until after the Elder. The transition between land and then figuring out you need to sail everywhere is a bit like that scene in the Matrix. Just shifts the game in a new, and interesting direction.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool