Tobold's Blog
Saturday, April 24, 2021
 
Going on a holiday

I'm a lucky guy in that I haven't caught COVID yet, and the pandemic hasn't had any major bad effect on my life. I quite like working from home, for the flexibility. The only downside is that it tends to blur the line between work and leisure, and after a year stuck at home I need a change of scenery. As international travel is still not possible for "non-essential" reasons, we booked a holiday apartment in the middle of nowhere here in Belgium. Nothing to do but nature walks and playing games. I am looking forward to it.

I rarely take my laptop on holidays, preferring to stick to the iPad and the Switch for holiday gaming. And it just so happens that Divinity Original Sin 2, which I am currently playing on the PC, is also on the Switch. And through the miracle of cloud saves, I could even play cross platform! Well, in theory that is. I tried it out, and with a few difficulties it worked: I had my current save game of DOS2 on the Switch and could continue playing. Which I did and then gave up after about 10 minutes.

Divinity Original Sin 2 is a rather complex game. And the UI is on the fiddly side, often requiring you to go through a number of steps to achieve something. That is okay on the PC with a big screen, mouse, and keyboard. Trying it on the small screen of the Switch with Joy Con controls was driving me nuts. Too many things happening on too small a screen, and the controls not precise enough, and cumbersome. For example the hotbar for skills is much smaller on the Switch, so what is one hotbar on the PC becomes three lines of hotbar on the Switch. Selecting a skill and applying it to the target you want becomes a hassle. When the fight against the UI becomes harder than the fight against the monsters, it is time to stop!

These days a lot of games exist on different platforms. But frequently you notice that it is either a console game that has been ported to the PC, or a PC game that has been ported to the console. The controls feel natural on one platform, and not so much on the other. The additional problem of the Switch in mobile mode is that a 6-inch mobile screen just isn't the same as a 27-inch desktop screen. A game designed for the small screen looks clunky on a large screen, while a game designed for a large screen becomes overloaded on the small one.

As a consequence, I will take a week off from playing DOS2, and will play probably Bravely Default 2 instead. I am also still playing Shop Titans every day, and that game works pretty well on both PC and tablet. And then, because I'm not going very far, and don't have to carry the luggage, I'm also packing some of the board games I recently acquired and hadn't had much time to play yet. So, rain or shine, I think I will have a good holiday week.

Comments:
Good for you, enjoy your vacation!
 
Enjoy! By the way, being of that generation, I wondered at first why you'd put DOS on a Switch. ;)
 
> I am also still playing Shop Titans every day

So... You piqued my interest and I gave it a go. I love it. Wonderful, chill, fun. I really like it.

Question: is it me or... The marketplace is the place where you make the real money? I am selling stuff at 6-10 times the money I usually get from any random npc. Very cool.
 
@Rugus: Yes, especially the higher quality stuff.
 
@Tobold

Question: is it me or is the game extremely slow, once you level furniture at 3? It looks like the paywall is real in this game, am I wrong?
 
Shop Titans is a time management game, you aren’t even supposed to try to pay to get everything done. Instead you have to adjust your rhythm: Play 5 minutes to set everything up, then go and play something else, come back after 10 minutes, 30 minutes, 1 hour, whatever it takes at your current level to get your crafts done. Nothing bad happens if you only play once or twice a day, but if you can do more, you advance more.
 
Yes, absolutely. I just noticed it's extremely slow, compared to other games. But the peace is good for those who, like me, aren't in their "teen years" anymore. I've been playing it on my phone, tablet and 32" screen and while I agree it's a very "mobile" game... It really shines on the big screen.
 
I'ts weird how prices fluctuate all the time. I can sell the same sword from anything from 10000 to 79000 in the spcace of 5 seconds.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool