Tobold's Blog
Sunday, June 06, 2021
 
Wasteland 3 is turning me into a murder hobo

Incentives matter. Whatever system of moral choices you implement in a role-playing game, chances are that a large number of players will go for the option that gives the best rewards. I am currently playing Wasteland 3 (didn't buy it, but got it from Xbox Game Pass for PC), and after observing the game punishing me several times for good behavior, I now go for the maximum reward options every time.

Some of those are story moral choices. Sell the girl into slavery or rescue her? Well, selling her into slavery gives you some of the best gear rewards early game, while saving her gives you some useless reputation points. But what really annoys me are the dialogue choices which are related to a skill check: If you have certain diplomacy/intimidation skills you get dialogue options which allow you to solve a problem without fighting. But why would you? The skill check apparently doesn't give any rewards at all, while the fight gives you xp and loot. And I haven't seen any negative repercussions yet from murdering every potential enemy instead of talking with them. In fact, many groups of enemy trigger an encounter when you come too close, in which the enemy automatically gains initiative. So instead of walking up to them and having a dialogue, you better shoot them with a sniper rifle from afar, putting you into a much better combat starting situation.

Some skills do give xp, for example picking locks or disabling generators with the mechanic skill. But annoyingly only the one character who did the action gets the xp, so my characters that have these sort of skills are higher level than the others. Other skills not only give no xp at all, but are actually never used in the field. So you can make a ranger with skills like weapon mod or armor mod, and just use that one in your base, and never take him on adventures.

I like the combat system of Wasteland 3. And I really appreciate the fact that my inventory has no limits in number of items or weight, so I don't constantly need to go back and forth to sell junk. But in my opinion the xp system of Wasteland 3 is badly designed.

Comments:

I think there is a dichotomy between what players want and what they think/say they want, in terms of choices. Everyone is all "I want my choices to make a difference", but when they actually do, not so much. As for 'good versus evil' choices, they only really work if evil is more profitable - otherwise there is no incentive to do it.
 
Interesting approach. I couldn't play Grand Theft Auto V for that reason: too many questionable choices that look too "real". Killing people for no reason, beating helpless women, etc. I know it's just a video game but something seems off anyways.
 
The choices affect the ending, I think.
 
You'll notice those choices at the ending. You can really screw Colorado if you make selfish choices in the game.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool