Tobold's Blog
Friday, August 13, 2021
 
I nearly fell for buying Humankind

When I opened my Epic Games Launcher today, it told me that I had only 4 more days to pre-order Humankind for $10 off and some pre-order bonuses. As I was faintly aware of the game as being basically Civilization 7, I started to wonder whether I should actually pre-order. Fortunately I decided to solve that question by doing some research, and that research came up with a very surprising answer: I absolutely shouldn't pay $50 to pre-order Humankind, because I can get it for free instead.

Well, maybe put an asterisk next to "free*", as it isn't free "free". I get Humankind for "free*" because I already pay $10 per month for an Xbox Game Pass for PC. And Humankind will be on that game pass right from the first day of release. In other words, I can mentally substract $50 from this year's tally where I compare the $120 annual cost of the game pass to the amount of money it saves me on buying games.

Obviously that fact isn't advertised on the Epic Games Launcher. I mean, they would be bloody stupid to do so. If you have neither Humankind nor the Game Pass, you have an option of either buying Humankind and being able to play it forever, or spending the same money on 5 months of Game Pass, and playing a whole bunch of different games for that period. You would need to be a pretty extreme Humankind fan in order to make the former look better than the latter. The large majority of games I play, I play for significantly less than 5 months. I only played Civ6 for 40 hours (but Civ5 for 80 hours).

So my problem is mostly that I am not always aware of the games coming to Xbox Game Pass, and I might accidentally buy a game and then find I could have played it for "free*". Is there a newsletter I could sign up for somewhere?

Comments:
The r/XboxGamePass subreddit has a stickied thread linking to a master list in Google Sheets with all GamePass games.

They list which platform the game is available on and even have handy tabs like "Leaving soon", "Cross Play" etc.
 
Forgot to add that I don't know how often it's updated but every time I've checked it has been accurate.
 
I feel like we need a gaming equivalent of the meme "first world problems". We really are spoiled for choice and availability at the moment. It has gotten to the point where the effort of trying to find whether or not you already own a game is more hassle than just buying it again on some other platform.
 
As a general rule, how often do GamePass games rotate out?

I understand that games are a license/service nowadays anyway, but I have a strong attachment to being able to play whatever I buy whenever I want forever - this is particularly true for the strategy game perennials, like Paradox games or the Civs and Civ-likes. With a few recent exceptions, Steam guarantees it.
 
I have a library of books at home, because I felt about books the same way, wanting to have access forever. Reality shows that I very rarely read any of the books in my library. I would have been better off getting the book from a public library and returning it. Games, it's the same. There are too many games coming out every year for me to have time for old games.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool