Tobold's Blog
Monday, September 27, 2021
 
RoomSketcher

Moving house is something that most households don't do very often, because it requires a lot of work, and a lot of planning and preparation. And because this is something I might be doing next year, I looked around to see what sort of software would be available to help. And I was positively impressed by RoomSketcher: There is quite a lot of free functionality to draw floorplans and put in furniture. And there are several reasonably priced schemes, either by subscription or one-by-one on demand, for other helpful features. I ended up taking a subscription, and that even included credits for a service where I just sent in the photos of my floor plans and got them encoded in the software with all the right measurements.

Why would I need all that? I plan to move from an apartment with one floor to a slightly bigger house with two floors. The sizes of the rooms will be different. And not every piece of furniture will move with us, the prime example being the fitted kitchen. RoomSketcher allows me to visualize the new house, in 2D and 3D. I can move furniture around easily, and for example check whether the large wardrobe in our current bedroom fits into which room of the new house. I can print out 3D plans with all the furniture to show the movers where each piece is going. Or I can do an interactive live 3D walkthrough to visualize how the new house would look furnished. It's all really quite neat and helpful.


Comments:
The last time we got a kitchen and bedroom remodeled in both cases the contractor used software like this to show us what it would look like. I am sure the software capabilities have moved on since then but it really is a fantastic example of software adding value to a real world process. The only difficulty, if you can call it that, often smaller independent contractors don't have the skills or the time to do computer modelling whereas the bigger chains have entire design and modelling departments to do it. The fact that you are willing to do the modelling yourself as a consumer overcomes this I guess.
 
Twice in the past three years I have moved my psychology clinic, which has necessitated significant renovations to our new spaces (including new walls). Each time I have used software like this to plan out what we want before hiring contractors or designers. Each time it's been so helpful, because when I sit down with them and they say "what do you want for the new space" I can hand them a floorplan as a starting point. It's saved me hours of time, and I'm confident it gets us something much closer to what I wanted vs just letting them guide the usual process.

My wife and I are hoping to build a new home in the next 5 years, and I'll absolutely be using software like this again to help facilitate this process. In our most recent office move (~1200 sqm) in the end our new office varied only very slightly from those initial floorplans I whipped up thanks to how good that software was.
 
Make sure you have the necessary ceiling height to actually rotate the wardrobe closets to their upright position. I failed that once after using RoomSketcher to conclude they ‘nicely fitted’.
 
Make sure you have the necessary ceiling height to actually rotate the wardrobe closets to their upright position. I failed that once after using RoomSketcher to conclude they ‘nicely fitted’.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool