Tobold's Blog
Sunday, October 17, 2021
 
Games are too cheap, or why I don't need a board game table

In regular economics it is assumed that demand for a good goes down when price goes up. The exception to this is called a Veblen good, and it typically applies to certain luxury items: People want it *because* it is outrageously expensive, because then owning that good is a great status symbol. Yesterday I spent all day at a board game convention, and one sort of Veblen good really stood out: Gaming tables, like for example this one from Wyrmwood, for $8,500+. Apparently there are "cheap" ones somewhere out there, for under $1,000, but the ones I saw at the convention were all above $2,000, with one even priced at $13,500. Yes, a table that is priced at the same level as a used car looks really nice, but I'm pretty sure I could furnish a whole house for that sort of money if I bought the furniture at IKEA.

The reason these tables stood out was that there wasn't much else which was really expensive at the convention. Yes, you can "deluxify" your board game, for example buying metal coins to replace the cardboard coins your game came with. But I saw those offered at €10 for 30 coins. You could probably double the price of your board game by deluxifying it, but that still isn't all that much money. There were very few games at the convention that cost over €100, and a lot of games were €50 or under (all the games I bought were). The most expensive board game I know of is Kingdom Death Monster, at $350 for the core box, if you don't count chess sets made out gems and noble metals. Some "all in" pledges on Kickstarter are more expensive, but then you get multiple boxes full of games and expansions and miniatures. So how do you spend really big money for your board game hobby?

Board game tables have one main feature: A lowered inner play area, usually with some sort of soft covering, like felt or neoprene. The advantage is that a soft play surface makes it easier to pick up cards or other game components. And the railing around the play area stops dice or other game components to fall to the floor. Obviously you could do as I do and put a soft material game mat (I use a Chessex vinyl Megamat) on a regular table and just not throw your dice all that hard, or use a dice tray. Personally I sat at a board game table and found the railing to be uncomfortable, especially if you want to play a game where you need to write something. I really couldn't see what advantage an expensive board game table would provide over my solution. So my only explanation is that people buy board game tables *because* they are expensive. Either to buy something really nice for yourself, or to impress your board game group. Me, I decided I don't need one. And I'll be buying board games for a decade with the money that decision just saved me.

Labels:


Comments:
When I moved into my first house, I bought a much bigger kitchen table than I used to own so I could play boardgames on it. Being able to have dinner with guests at an actual table when we want to is a nice side effect.

As far as "board game tables" the raised lip looks like a design flaw more than a feature. Especially if you are into PnP RPGs you need to be able to take notes on a character sheet. It also looks incredibly impractical for any kind of card game. There is a good reason you don't see those things in spaces set up for people to meet and play games (e.g., board game shops).
 
My DM built a very nice gaming table with his father with a removable center and all, but then most of the time we just used the normal top because it was easier to reach things. So then he installed a computer monitor in the bottom section (facing up) so he could use roll 20 to display maps for our minis. It's a shame we haven't been able to play in person for so long.
 
It's a shame we haven't been able to play in person for so long.

I feel ya. At the board game convention there were also a bunch of booths with materials for pen & paper roleplaying games, like dice and battlemats. In previous years I would have been all over that stuff, but now I just walked by, thinking "whatever would I need that for?".
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool