Tobold's Blog
Tuesday, October 12, 2021
 
Vagrus - The Riven Realms

In 2004 I wrote a blog post about how I would like to see trade implemented in a fantasy role-playing game, buying low, having a dangerous journey to transport goods elsewhere, and selling high. At the time I wanted that to be a MMORPG, but after 17 years of waiting I'll take Vagrus - The Riven Realms as the next best thing. Finally there is a game in which I can manage a trade caravan travelling through a dangerous fantasy world.

While I am having a lot of fun with this game, I can clearly see how this wouldn't be for everybody. The post-apocalyptic bronze age setting includes harsh things like slaves, which some people won't consider as politically correct (even if it is modelled after Roman times, where many of the slaves where white). The game is also exceptionally hard, you should really play it on the easier difficulty setting. And it is full of stories and lore which are presented in often long walls of text.

But I don't mind all that. Vagrus plays like such a great mix of trading management and fantasy adventure. You manage a caravan consisting of large beasts of burden, mounts, cavalry, soldiers, scouts, workers, and the aforementioned slaves. There is a huge map, with many yet undiscovered locations, which you slowly learn about by taking on quests, or listening to rumors. You can travel on roads or through the wilderness, with the wilderness being more dangerous, but also giving you more opportunity to hunt or forage for food. A good chunk of your cargo space is taken up by the supplies you need to feed everybody, and you will need to keep a good balance between amount of beasts that give you cargo space, the workforce they require, and the guards that protect them.

Besides buying low and selling high, you can also take on transport tasks from various factions, or transport passengers. You can also get various "companions", which each have their own story line. There are two combat systems, one in which your whole caravan fights, and another in which only your companions fight. The latter is often used in the various quests and adventures you can take on. You can concentrate on being a merchant, or more of an adventurer, or more of an explorer. The whole game is a big sandbox, with very little handholding, so frequent saving is recommended. Things can quickly go wrong and get your whole caravan eliminated.

Vagrus is an indie game, and thus not very expensive. The downside of that is that the community is rather small. If I get stuck in a quest in Baldur's Gate 3, there are lots and lots of websites that can give me information and walkthroughs. For Vagrus I couldn't even find the very basic information on what I would have to do to start the personal quest of my orc companion Gor'Goro, which I would need to level him up past level 2. Well, I'll probably stumble across that at some point in time, and I am having a lot of fun exploring. So, yeah, Vagrus is kind of a niche game, but it is the right niche for me!

Comments:
As I share some of your tastes in games, I tried the demo, and - as I have a week of holidays coming up - it looks like a lot of fun for me. thanks!

I think you might enjoy Battle Brothers as well - I searched and you haven't written about it - it looks..well.. shite. But I very much enjoyed it. Have a look at it!
 
Battle Brothers is in my large library of owned but unplayed Steam games. :)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool