Tobold's Blog
Wednesday, October 04, 2023
 
Bought a new computer - 2023 edition

I bought my previous PC back in early 2019, before the pandemic. This year I played several games on release, and some of them resulted in stuttering gameplay (e.g. Act III of Baldur's Gate 3), or me having to play on "medium" graphics settings to get a good framerate. So I decided that it was maybe time for a new PC. This is what I got:

CPU Intel Core i7 13700KF LGA1700 30MB Cache 3,4GHz
DDR5 32GB PC 6000 CL36 Corsair (2x16GB)
MSI Z790 Gaming Plus Wifi Motherboard (with Xilence water cooling)
Geforce graphics card MSI RTX4070 Gaming X Slim 12GB GDDR6X
2 TB SSD hard drive as boot drive Crucial M.2 (2280) P5 Plus
12 TB SATA hard drive for data storage WD Purple Pro
MSI tower case Midi MPG Velox 100P Airflow

The new computer came with Windows 11. Which was actually one reason I upgraded, because my previous PC had informed me that I couldn't update from Windows 10 to 11 due to insufficient hardware. Another upgrade reason was that my previous boot SSD at 1 TB was a bit small to install my Steam and Game Pass games, and now with 2 TB that should work better. I already tried one Game Pass game, The Lamplighter's League, and was delighted that it had cloud save, and I didn't lose my save game in the transition.

As usual I ran a 3DMark graphics benchmark to see how much faster the new computer is, although it has to be said that the program, or at least the Fire Strike benchmark I am using, is pretty outdated by now. Anyway, the 2019 PC had a benchmark of 20,087 and the new PC scores nearly twice as much at 39,158. I could have gotten a ASRock Radeon RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC, RX7900XTX PG 24GO, 24GB GDDR6 graphics card from AMD instead, but it would have been nearly twice as expensive. I think the Nvidia RTX 4070 should be fast enough for my purposes now, and if necessary I can replace it in a few years.
Comments:
Ah, the holiday period after getting a new pc or gpu. Time to play some of the nicest looking games like cyberpunk. But after a few months I’m back to playing games which run on a toaster. Wow, paradox games, indie games…
 
Enjoy your new PC.
 
Nice! The specs look good and a solid upgrade from your previous PC.
 
That's a very nice machine Tobold. May it give you hours of pleasure. Did you get someone to build it for you and if so how was the experience?
 
I still remember the day I installed my brand new GeForce 3080. Such a joy. And here I am, randomly playing pixel games or stuff that could easily run on a potato.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool