Tobold's Blog
Tuesday, November 21, 2023
 
Community content

I was watching a Streamer talking about the patch 1.5 for Victoria 3. He argued that if you only played Victoria 3 at release (like I did), you should now play it again, because the patch made the game a lot better, especially the military side. While I am not convinced, his sentiments very much echoed my thoughts on Age of Wonders 4, it is a much better game half a year later due to patches. Kudos to Paradox in both cases for good patch support and listening to the customers. The patches frequently fixed exactly the points people were complaining about.

Having said that, with Age of Wonders 4 I also encountered the other side of the medal: Community content, from player reviews, YouTube videos, to mods in the Steam Workshop are mostly created when the game comes out. Patches that significantly change the game, make some of the community content obsolete. I wrote several posts about Age of Wonders 4 in May of this year, and several things I said about the game aren't accurate anymore; for example I was complaining about the underground and naval parts, and both of those have been much improved since. In the Steam Workshop for Age of Wonders 4, half of the mods aren't working anymore due to the patches. And the large majority of let's play videos on YouTube were made at release, and the game plays somewhat different now.

I think most games don't change that much over time. Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is also half a year old, and apart from some bug fixes the game still plays very much the same. But there are a handful of examples, from Cyberpunk 2077 to No Man's Sky, where the game today has very little to do with the game at release. And that makes looking for things like reviews somewhat difficult, as you need to specifically look for 2023 reviews of how the game is now, of which there are few compared to the large number of release date reviews. Of course I prefer if a game I bought gets made better, but unfortunately the reviewers, streamers and modders can't be expected to constantly update their community content. Heck, my own blog if full of dead links, as with over six thousand posts it would be extremely hard to constantly update everything. My apologies for that!

Comments:
Yep, for many complex PC games it can feel like games are in beta for the first 6-months after release (or longer) as developers make fixes and changes based on player feedback. Due to that and the high supply of games we have, I don't play games at release anymore. Recent Steam player reviews can typically still be found even after most of the crowd has moved on.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool