Tobold's Blog
Thursday, November 23, 2023
 
Diablo IV is a single-player MMO

I played Diablo IV for just 3 hours before I got totally bored with it. Being aware that many people will say that this isn't enough to evaluate the game, I recognized a familiar argument for a familiar genre of games: MMOs. And I realized that this was exactly why I dislike Diablo IV: It plays like a single-player MMO, with interaction with other players mostly limited to running across them in town, or they participating in the same world event. The number of people you can meet in one zone in Diablo IV is much more limited than theoretically possible for most MMOs, but in reality you don't meet that large groups of other players in MMOs either most of the time.

Where Diablo IV feels most like a MMO, and most to my dislike, is in its utter disrespect for the player's time: A game like Baldur's Gate 3 ends when the character has reached the level cap and the end of the main story; Diablo IV, like a MMO, *begins* when the character has reached the level cap and the end of the main story. It isn't just that I didn't have much fun in my first 3 hours of Diablo IV personally, it feels like I am not even supposed to have fun. The repetitive grind starting at low levels is a feature, not an accident. The rewards, whether it is level-ups or gear you find, don't feel significant, they feel like a small increment in a very long "numbers go up" game. It is hard to get excited about a magic ring that gives +3 hit points and +1% crit chance.

Of course this all is from the perspective of somebody who used to run a MMO blog and played tens of thousands of hours for over a decade of various MMOs. I am simply over this genre. I'm tired of playing a game for many hours only for the purpose of getting to the point where the fun starts. Your mileage may vary, and I am not saying that Diablo IV is a bad game or that you wouldn't have fun with it. But for me it feels like a bad memory of a time I now left behind me, and I don't want to go back to.

Comments:
If that's the case, you might want to think about changing the little descriptive note on your sidebar that describes your blog as "A blog about MMORPG ( Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games ) and other games I'm currently playing."

I've never played any of the Diablo games but it's always been my understanding they're ARPGs, a genre I've always disliked since I tried and bounced off Dungeon Siege back in the 90s. I've heard Diablo 4 described as an mmorpg a few times, though, so I guess the genre boundaries are shifting or blurring. Personaally, I wouldn't play D4 even for free but not because I would be worried about the mmo aspects; it's the baseline arpg mechanics I don't like.
 
@Bhagpuss: Good point! Done! I hope the new description is closer to the reality of this blog.
 
Tobold: "It is hard to get excited about a magic ring that gives +3 hit points and +1% crit chance."

While I can see that, it's basically the core idea of the ARPG genre: repeatedly slaying monsters for better gear.
The story only matters to a degree and isn't meant to be an indicator for when you are done.

I mean go back in time and look at D1 and D2: you would play through the same story again and again on a harder difficulty until you eventually hit level cap and then you would run parts of the story over and over for better gear and rare drops.

The MMO aspect of D4 is other people directly running around in "your" world which wasn't an option back in the day. There you would have to host or join a party to play together with other players.
 
Of course it is very possible that someone doesn’t like Diablo IV for various reasons. And yes; grinding is a part of the game you must like or Diablo is not for you. However; I do not agree with the other part of your reasoning here - the new talent, paragon and aspect system is incredibly deep. Tweaking and testing your character for maximum performance and surviveability is rewarding for me. It’s not abound finding a new ring with an extra percent crit (hit chance does not exist on gear or talents), but finding a new build and work towards minmaxing it is fun for me!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool